Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Hampton , Virginia
Your trailer might leak if...

Hello Everybody, I recently bought a 1985 Sovereign 25 footer and I thought this could be a helpful topic.

I'll go first: Your trailer might leak if... your marker lights are installed upside down (weep hole up)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	274059   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	274060  

Sovereign25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
If this is how your awning is installed. ..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160815_113531-1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	274061  
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Your trailer might leak if it's an Airstream!
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Nah, its inside. Nice, dry and warm.

Safe Travels,
Old 10-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
If a hole has been cut through the skin.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you don't pay attention to it and do preventative maintenance.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If: it rains, the A/C is on, it dews, the water pump is turned on, the city water is hooked up, you wash it, there is liquid in the gray and/or black tanks...... jus' kiddin'....maintenance is the key.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
I was wondering how do you check the subfloor and if there are leaks coming under the floor covering onto the subflooring???
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native143 View Post
I was wondering how do you check the subfloor and if there are leaks coming under the floor covering onto the subflooring???
Many here use a moisture meter with sharp probes. This is a newer version of the one I use:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F5O2...s_ad_dp_asin_1

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to Bdinla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign25 View Post
Hello Everybody, I recently bought a 1985 Sovereign 25 footer and I thought this could be a helpful topic.
I recently purchased (March 2016) an International Serenity 25FB Twin (2016). My wife and I were up by Big Bear Lake in the San Bernardino mountains, about 6,700 feet elevation. The first morning, BEFORE using the shower, this puddle showed up (see picture), and the bead of water at the base of the shower module, going all the way back to beneath the refrigerator. (The coach had been in storage in Marina Del Rey, CA for about 45 days before this trip.) It was cool outside, maybe mid-40s, but no observable condensation inside. This phenomenon has appeared several times since the first instance, both after using the shower, as well as when the shower has not been used.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the source of such water?

It subsequently rained during our trip, and the ceiling started to leak after a particularly persistent downpour; but that's a topic for another time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6226.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	274396  
Bdinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdinla View Post
I recently purchased (March 2016) an International Serenity 25FB Twin (2016). My wife and I were up by Big Bear Lake in the San Bernardino mountains, about 6,700 feet elevation. The first morning, BEFORE using the shower, this puddle showed up (see picture), and the bead of water at the base of the shower module, going all the way back to beneath the refrigerator. (The coach had been in storage in Marina Del Rey, CA for about 45 days before this trip.) It was cool outside, maybe mid-40s, but no observable condensation inside. This phenomenon has appeared several times since the first instance, both after using the shower, as well as when the shower has not been used.

It subsequently rained during our trip, and the ceiling started to leak after a particularly persistent downpour; but that's a topic for another time.
Subscribing. I believe this happened in our 2017 25 FB Twin, though others were in and about and it could have been something else.
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign25 View Post
Your trailer might leak if...
You haven't inspected the escape hatch window gasket. Trust me, it could be the best $10 you ever spend.
brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Milan , Illinois
That looks exactly like what happened to me this summer after 30 + days of rain on the Alaskan caravan...Chased leaks for days until I found the smoking gun...The boot covering the hole on the roof for the antenna cable had come off and worked its way back up the cable. Water had come through the hole down the cable through the interior wall next to the refig then dropped on the supporting floor of the refrig then dropped to the floor and ran out into the hall as you pictured. Caulking in the exterior refrig access cabinet also contributed. Since all water lines, water pump and city water and water fill are all in that area and that floor was wet it took a while to eliminate them as causes. I too thought at first shower was leaking put the floor under the pan was dry and a clear stream of water was coming from the water pump area. My suggestion check all roof openings first.
aswbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Hi all,
Thanks for your suggestions. I will check the escape window gasket first as it is the easiest to do. Then I'll try the roof openings. A couple of things make me think ASWBE is on the right track. The ceiling leak after the rain was at the back of the coach where the antenna and the solar panels are located. Also, most water incursions take place in the morning, when there's dew on the roof. Finally, I opened all interior panels providing access under the shower and the refer, and there was no water under the shower, but a refrigerator support post behind the storage cabinet under the refer was soaked from the floor about an inch up the post.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
what did you use to caulk the antenna boot, as I have to do that after replacing the antenna. The new one's foot doesn't fit in the old one's fitting snugly. Thanks.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Water inlet can leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdinla View Post

I have a Flying Cloud 25FB Twin (2013). Water has shown up under the closet twice. The first time the water drained out of the trailer at the outside wall and ran onto the ground. I put a water alarm in this area. The alarm sounded the next day. It sounded right away so there was not much water at all. The culplrit (at least the second time) was the water inlet fixture.

I recommend you look at the back of your closet. In mine there is an enclosed area at the back about a foot high. The top panel is just held on by two screws. With that off, you can see and feel the water inlet, the black tank flush inlet, and the black tank flush backflow preventer (plus some pipes).

The vertical panel at the back of the closet is harder to get off (seven hidden screws and three wooden pegs).

The first leak worried me enough that I cut a big hole in the closet floor (and put in a removable panel) so I could inspect the rest of the plumbing easily.

I'm attaching two pictures of my closet. One shows the top board removed, the second shows the back one removed. In my trailer, the black tank flush fitting is above the city water; yours may be opposite. The second picture shows after I removed the leaking inlet fixture and plugged the line. I covered the hole with red tape on the outside; that is why you see a red glow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FCCloset-1.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	274457   Click image for larger version

Name:	FCCloset-2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	274458  

SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Thanks SSquared. I haven't gotten that ambitious yet! I've already told the dealer that I'm bringing it back to them early next month, since it's still under warranty. I want them to do the heavy lifting, find the leak(s?), make sure there's no water damage to the floor, or mold/mildew developing in the ceiling. They can have it all winter/as long as it takes to find the prodblem and fix it. If it turns out to be some of the plumbing under the closet, I'll ask them to put in an access panel as you've described. Right now my guess is that ASWBE is on the right track, because once the sun drys the dew on the roof we get no more water incursion.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are lots of places to leak but that back bumper area where the plate goes under the floor is a big one. ALL RV's leak or will leak or have leaked. I won't go into all the places I have had leaks.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:40 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Eugene , OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
There are lots of places to leak but that back bumper area where the plate goes under the floor is a big one. ALL RV's leak or will leak or have leaked. I won't go into all the places I have had leaks.

Perry
Thanks Perry,
I haven't seen any water beyond the refrigerator/ closet/shower module so I'm not sure where such a leak as you describe would be visible. I do have one update on the situation, however. In a previous post I noted that there was no water incursion after the dew dried off the roof. Well, that was wrong. Today that little bead of water along the base of the shower reappeared in the afternoon No rain or condensation could account for it Back to square one perhaps?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Milan , Illinois
I did a field expedient repair...I stood on top of a stool on top of a picnic table while people handed me things. Aluminum tape aka refri tape, aka blade tape was used to secure boot to cable then some unknown caulk used around bottom of boot. The important thing is securing the boot to the cable so in time it does not ride up the cable. The caulk was probably unnecessary.
I might add this problem existed for years but never got to the point of flooding the floor. The water soaked the wood around the refig then without weeks of continuous rain dried up before it started to drip. Trailer is stored under a roof.
aswbe is offline   Reply With Quote