Old 04-09-2006, 06:39 AM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
This thread prompted me to go out and take a look at my front windows...I need to take stock of things, anyway, to get ready to go camping in a couple of weeks, but when I was out there, I took off the front gaucho, and saw a spot of wet plywood along the front wall. (that hasn't always been there; its fairly new). the spot is directly below the curbside joint between the main window, and the curbside wing window. So I went out to take a look at the outside...I can see where there was at one time, some kind of sealant on the mitered corners of the wings...looks just like what is pictured. So I can re-do that. the top of the window was re-vulkemed by "yours truly" not long ago, so that should be ok. I don't see any water leaking "IN" the windows themselves.
So, Its off to re-scrutinize the entire front end of the trailer. there is a gap in the lower trim that covers the banana wrap. could be as simple as that. But there are also a couple of suspect screws...an old level that doesn't work, but was never removed for fear of opening up a new potential leak. that'll have to come off and have the screw holes filled.
I think the marker lights and letters should be ok, because I was in there from the inside, through the overhead cabinet, last season. so sign of leakage from above.

But the windows themselves: Aaron, did you completely remove that rubber/plastic bead around the perimiter of the wing window glass? looks to me like that might be what is holding the glass in place. there was evidence of old sealant around the edges of it (maybe parbond?) that has loosened.

The other thing..possibly unrelated, is that the gasket/seal/whatever that is between the panes of glass. Yours pictured looks to be in good shape. I can even make out the little plastic thingies that stick into it. (what they're for, I don't know). many of mine have fallen out, and the gasket appears to be oozing into the space between the glass panes. they obviously aren't air-tight, as there is always condensation inside there. looks terrible. I'd like to remove the inner pane, but it has been implied that this is not an easy task. my service manual has a simple sounding procedure listed, though. But my question is, what is that stuff between the panes? can it be removed/replaced? does it need to be?

I'll try and post a pic later.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Chuck,
There are some differences between the 1973 windows and the 1975 so your mileage may vary On my front wing windows the grey plastic seal was in bad shape, pulled away from the frame and the glass in places. It actually goes from the inside to the outside of the double panes. I only cut back the outside because it was cracked, split and generally nasty. On the 1975 windows there is a sticky substance between the windows along with the little plastic spacer thingies and a desicant. It is my understanding that when the desicant turns brown it isn't any good...mine is brown. I don't know if they can be dissasembled or not, as far as I know..not very easily if at all. Let me know how you make out. One of these days I will get my hands on a salvage window and see how it is put together and how hard it is to destroy

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #17
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Ok, here's some pics.

you can see, the plastic/rubber thingie that seems to hold the windows in from the outside looks good. dirty, but in good shape. There are some pieces of loose sealant that someone had added at one time...perhaps I should re-parbond that (?). I'll re-do the corners, for sure.

also plainly visible is that gasket/whatever-it-is in between the panes, oozing its way in...and the ever-present condensation. I'd like to see both disappear. but how? and will the mystery-ooze need to be replaced with something?

the leak: isolated to that area. I know, it could be from almost anywhere, but if anyone has any experience with one in this particular spot, any insite would be appreciated. I don't think its from the marker lights/letters above the window, as I was in there last season, and there was no sign of water up there. could be the window itself, the adjacent seam...that stupid level thing that is broken...all of those will be addressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curb-corner.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	20275   Click image for larger version

Name:	curb-far.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	20276  

Name:	street1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	20277   Click image for larger version

Name:	street2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	20278  

Name:	curbside.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	20279  
Old 04-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #18
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
here's an even closer shot that didn't make it into the last post. you can see the shaved olympics holding the window in....yep, it was out, at some point in its life. This trailer has apparently taken some lumps. I also found shaved olympics along one of the segments in the front end cap. owned the trailer for 2 or 3 years before I noticed!

there's also evidence of damage in the rear... you can see a slight distortion of the metal, if the light is just right. you wouldn't notice if you weren't looking really hard for it. I also just noticed, right beneath this area, the battery door isn't sealing shut all the way. I replaced the gasket last year; just went to check on the battery, and found its at 12.63v after sitting all winter ...but, its wet in there. I bet it got distorted when whatever it was that put that dent in the side in there. not quite sure how to fill that gap. maybe another gasket of some sort on the frame? (gasket goes on the door, normally). don't think it would be practical to try and bend it back. again, you'd never notice any distortion, unless you were really looking hard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	curb-close.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	20291  
Old 04-09-2006, 05:01 PM   #19
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Chuck and I have the same year trailer, so I’m guessing that we have similar problems with these wing windows. I just happen to be working in this area of the trailer right now. The outside plastic/rubber stuff looks like it has been siliconed over on mine. I can scrape this out and replace with Parbond, right?

The whole assembly looks to consist of an outer piece of glass, an inner seal that appears to be some type of “glaziers” putty, an inner piece of glass, and an inner frame that holds it all together that is screwed into the frame assembly. The whole thing is sealed from the inside with Vulkem.

Does that sound about right to you guys that have done this before?
So I remove the inner frame, then remove the inner piece of glass, clean everything up, then reassemble from the outside in, then Parbond the outside?

The pic is of the inner frame on the curb side wing window.

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #20
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Well, I screwed up the pic,try again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wing Window 5.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	20292  

Air No. 6427
Old 04-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #21
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Chuck,

If you push on the window just above the seal, can you get it to move?

Look closly at the window and the seal while you push and see if you can open up a crack. If you can, water can get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
here's an even closer shot that didn't make it into the last post. you can see the shaved olympics holding the window in....yep, it was out, at some point in its life. This trailer has apparently taken some lumps. I also found shaved olympics along one of the segments in the front end cap. owned the trailer for 2 or 3 years before I noticed!

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Chuck, the last pic in post #17. That vertical seam in the aluminum was leaking in my trailer at one point. I haven't seen in leak lately, so i don't know if it was a "phantom" leak (running down from some place else that I already repaired) or an actual leak that is only there during a really hard rain.

Leaks are driving me absolutely nuts. Just when you think you have them all, another one crops up. As I stated above, right now I'm working on leaks everywhere. It is soooooooooo time consuming that I'm really worried that I may never actually get to go camping in this thing.

I wouldn't discount the lights or Airstream emblem as a source of leaks either. Here is a couple of pics I took a little while ago that shows some of the leaks I have repaired (or seams I have resealed to prevent future leaks).

Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Reseal.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	20293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front reseal 2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	20294  

Name:	Front reseal 3'.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	20295  

Air No. 6427
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
My goodness I hope my leaks don't prove to be so hard to fix. I caulked around all the windows in the supicious area but I didn't caulk between the glass and the aluminum as these seem to be sealed well. I'll give the caulk some time to set and give it the hose test.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Jim,
Your windows are different from mine, I don't have the internal fasteners...mine are a one piece extrusion with mild steel splice plates in the corners that hold things together. It looks to me like yours can be dissassembled.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:43 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
tim: I'll try that test on the window when I get a chance...ran outta time, yesterday.

Jim: in your pic in post #20: are those screws holding in the inner window frame? I think that's what the SM reports. if so, it shouldn't be too hard to get it out.
I'm not discounting the markers and letters as a potential source of leakage; its just that I was in there not long ago, and there was no sign of anything. the area is packed with insulation, and I would think that if there had been water coming in that way, the insulation would have been soggy. but maybe not. I'll certainly re-visit the area if other attempts fail.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #26
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Yes, those screws are holding the inner frame in there. After I looked at this thread yesterday, I went out and tried to remove a couple of them. They won't budge. There is some kind of sealant over them that is hanging on tight. The sealant appears to have some type of metal componenet to it (like gutter seal, maybe?). Once I got most of the sealant removed from a couple of them, they still wouldn't move--even using heat and the phillips bit in the drill. I may drill one of them out just to see what's going on.

As you can probably tell from the picture, the Vulkem is very thick in this area, that may have something to do with it. I'll keep you posted.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 04-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
yeah, I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I said that. "shouldn't be too hard..". yeah, right. must have been "lack of coffee", or somthing. I've run into some nasty screws, myself, that required some innovative techniques to remove.

I guess what I meant is that typically, "screws" (instead of "rivets") kind of implies that these fasteners were meant to come out at some point. (i.e. "routine maintenance item...like my vent stack covers, for example). not that they ever "would" come out...again, like my vent stack covers.

My question IRT these particular windows: lets just say that you should, by some far stretch of the imagination, get these screws outta there.....then what? Is the whole thing going to come falling out in your hand, inner and outer glass together? or just the inner glass? and can the outer pane be left by itself?

The service manual says that you'll need to gently pry along the vertical edge w/ a screwdriver, but it doesn't say exactly what is going to come out when (or if) you succeed. "assembly is the reverse of disassembly". well, what if I don't want to put the inner pane back? it doesn't say...