Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Waitsfield , Vermont
Which Vulkem product to use?

I am trying to seal the exterior of my 68 Safari from leaks and am wondering which Vulkem product I should use. Is Vulkem okay for small seams or should I use Parbond?

Thanks.
68vtsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Very small openings are more easily sealed w/ Parbond or Alcoa Gutter Seal. The Vulkem (now called TremPro 636) fills larger seams very well, and is a preferred panel sealant during assembly.

These folks have some good info.(No connection, just happy customer).

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have a 68 Trade Wind and it leaked like a sieve when I got it. I found the TemPro 636 to be a little easier to use than the Gutter Seal. After some trail and error I found that good looking seams are easy to achieve with masking tape. Clean the seams well and then tape them with a good quality masking tape leaving about a 3/16 gap between the tape right over the seam. Apply the Vulkem in a long thin bead and then go over the bead with our finger once one way and the then the other. You must make a long pull the entire length of the seam to get it smooth. By going both ways it insures that sealer is forced deep into the gaps. Wipe off your finger and remove the tape. If you let the sealer sit for even a few minutes before you remove the tape it can have a little edge to the seam but if you remove it immediately the edges will flow just a little and the seam will be perfectly straight and smooth. Finally, wear old clothes and have lots of paper towels because you will get the stuff all over yourself.

I had ordered my first couple of tubes on line but I found that my local Fastenal store carried it and it was much cheaper.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
What is Vulkem 116 Polyuretane? I thought that was the right stuff . . .

Name:   51530.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  6.5 KB

Or am I deluded . . . again?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
I can't even imagine using Vulcem at the panels. It's so crazy thick! I used it at my windows. I have the Acryl-R for seams - as it wicks between the panels and is a lot thinner!

Good luck - there seems to be two or three different products that most folks use - with the heavier ones being applied at the windows and other large gaps and the lighter/thinner ones being used at the panel seams. And most will say to stay away from silicone ....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I used Seamermate .Amerimax Home Products, Inc. Think I got it at HD or Lowes.Sealed the interior of my Ambie.Spoke with a rep at the company and it is a non silicone based product.I temporarily sealed up some emblem rivet holes while the interior was gutted and it sealed very well.dries dark silver.
Anyone used this product?
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
116 is what we use at home on masonry although I know others have used it on their Airstream.

Product Description:
Vulkem 116 is a one-part moisture curing, gun grade polyurethane sealant. Vulkem 116 is durable, flexible and offers excellent performance in moving joints. Vulkem 116 does not require a primer on most construction materials.

Basic Uses:
Vulkem 116 is an excellent general purpose sealant designed for use in precast, masonry, window frame perimeters and similar types of construction joints. Vulkem 116 is suitable for continual immersion in water. Vulkem 116 is designed for exterior and interior use.

635 and 636 I've used on larger joints (top of window frames/around vent edges, etc.). The syringes do come in handy.

TremPro 635

Parbond around the rest of the window frame - around the awning brackets - along the top of the rub rail, etc.. Acryl-R for panel seams - although we have not needed to do that yet... there, just jinxed myself I'm sure....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
I can't even imagine using Vulcem at the panels. It's so crazy thick! I used it at my windows. I have the Acryl-R for seams - as it wicks between the panels and is a lot thinner!
Vulkem works well when riveting new panels together, installing riveted windows, etc. For regular panel seams
after assembly, it's pretty difficult to apply, and the thinner sealants look pretty attractive. We found some large gaps in around the Vista windows in our Tradewind, and the Vulkem worked very well there.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had some very big gaps in several of my panels, hence the need for the thicker stuff.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Where do you buy it? Vulkem
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
_

. , .
there are many threads with details here on sealants ...

like mice and flat tires this is not a new topic

and one can FIND many threads on EACH goop by brand name, with awesome HOW2z...

here's a random sample of examples...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...more-7626.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ant-15141.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ply-32894.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...lly-45784.html

u can/will find a motherload of info on MOST topics in past threads.

it really will speed up ANY new a/s adventure to explore here.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
OK, got the vulkem, it seems to rain now every other day, I read the label, searched here, how long does it need to be dry to set right? in other words what is it's drying time? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote