Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
omaha , Nebraska
Where are the most common areas for Roof Leaks?

I am stripping the clear coat tomorrow and intend on recaulding the roof and window seals. I have been getting water leaks in the ceiling along the seam and not sure where it is coming from ==== where are the most common areas to seal and should I even worry about the seams on the roof?
rothway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I'd say I've had more leaks through the plumbing stack vents than anywhere else. Reports seem to indicate that roof air vents and crank up antennas come in second.
When you look for small gaps between the panels and segments also check for loose rivets along the seams as well.
Lots of threads on sealers and techniques here. Search those out and you'll be dry for a good while.

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
DO NOT USE silicone caulk! The solvent and other chemicals eat aluminum.

Use SikaFlex on large gaps and Capt. Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure on seams.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My trailer had silicone calking slathered all over it when I got it. It hadn't Caused any obvious damage,,, but it was ugly and it was a PITA to get off.

I despise silicone calking, in my eye it is just evil.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The most common places to find floor rot in 70's trailers is along the back, the front curve, around the door, and behind the refrigerator. The rear end rots because the bumper trunk design funnels water right into the end grain of the plywood subfloor. The front is likely rotten because of leaking windows, and very notably, leaks at the TV antenna base. Behind the fridge could be leaking because of water splashing up through the vent in the floor, or coming down through the chimney. Most doors don't seal well, and thus you get water in around the door.

The Plumbing vent stacks have a piece of rubber in them that is supposed to seal around the pipe. These last a few years and get hard and cracked and allow leaks in that area. If you haven't replaced all your door, window and vent seals, then start there. And yes, every seam and every rivet could be a source of leaks as well.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
roof leaks

I had some service taken care of at the Airstream facility in Ohio and they found some "weeping rivets" ( as they called them) on the roof . After a heavy rain the carpet by the door was always moist, that moisture worked its way down from the "weeping rivets".. They just caulked them. I am now caulking most of the ones on the roof to eliminate a potential problem. wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
My trailer had silicone calking slathered all over it when I got it. It hadn't Caused any obvious damage,,,
This is the best example I've found of the effect corrosive silicone had on my trailer. Didn't see it until the window was out and the area cleaned up.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silicone eaten Alclad.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	218000  

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Whoa! That's impressive damage!

I've removed all of the silicone on my trailer, I have some areas with minor etching that will never polish out but nothing like that!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Wow, that is brutal.

I got way lucky.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Don't know why a seam should leak, guess what, leak. I would have thought that the original overlapping and caulking as the Airstream was being constructed should have been as designed not leak! I had a leak in the front and rear center of my AS. Caulked over the seams with Sikaflex, cured it. Awful stuff to work with and now a bead of caulk where it should be a clean overlapping as per design. What is the answer? Originally, more overlapping or more caulk?

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Problem is during construction, no sealant is placed in the seam. They gooped the inside of some of them, but not all.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote