Old 04-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Question What is it and where do I get it?

I have taken the rear light housings off of Bambi, stripped them and polished them...now I am ready to re-install them. My question is: What is that light brown/yellow vomit colored caulking sealing the aluminum housings from the body. BTW this is a 2006 Safari SE. I am hoping that it is something I can get at the auto parts store or hardware store.

Thanks, Randy Bowman

P.S. I am taking 2Air's advise...I am leaving them naked. No clear coat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	101579  

Old 04-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
Probably Sikaflex 221. Should be available somewhere in you area at an industrial supply house (not the big box stores).

Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
As long as you have everyting apart... it could be overkill, but since I've replaced two of those fairly expensive lights due to moisture intrusion you might put a bead of silicone around the perimeter of lense and backer of the light, as well as where the wires enter the fixture. I did that when I replaced the two waterlogged units-so far so good.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Ack! You're one of THOSE people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
As long as you have everyting apart... it could be overkill, but since I've replaced two of those fairly expensive lights due to moisture intrusion you might put a bead of silicone around the perimeter of lense and backer of the light, as well as where the wires enter the fixture. I did that when I replaced the two waterlogged units-so far so good.
I can't say this strongly enough: NEVER put RTV silicone on the skin of an Airstream, anywhere, for any reason. RTV silicone contains an acid that reacts badly with the aluminum used for the skin. I just spent two days removing the silicone somebody put on the seams of a customer's Airstream. The silicone had etched the aluminum, and it will always be an eyesore for the owner of the trailer.

If you want to reseal, use aluminum colored Parrbond, and use it sparingly.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Nope, not one of those people...

I was referring to sealing the light fixture itself, that would be around the red lens where it is glued to the black backer and on the back where the wires enter the light itself. No contact whatsoever with the aluminum skin or surrounding housing.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
I was referring to sealing the light fixture itself, that would be around the red lens where it is glued to the black backer and on the back where the wires enter the light itself. No contact whatsoever with the aluminum skin or surrounding housing.
Okay, sorry for the over-reaction. Spending days with chemicals and plastic scrapers will give you instant flashbacks...
Old 05-03-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
i have a 2010 19' bambi. one of the rear tail light has only a partial row of lights lighting. i am assuming that i too have to remove the housing to get in there to replace an l.e.d. bulb?. i too would need to know waht to reseal the housing with after it is re-assembled and any other pitfalls about this job. i am still knew to the as and dto do it yourselfing. any help or pointers welcome. hope this is where i can even post this question dove tailing on ob bambi. by the way the ob is awesome.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Randy,
I removed my tail lights yesterday so we could remove vinyl graphics (our AS was a former corp promo coach).
I want to strip the castings as there is some peeling of the clear coat.
Do you have any hints?
Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrtgrls View Post
i have a 2010 19' bambi. one of the rear tail light has only a partial row of lights lighting.
That should be a warranty item.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
dsrtgrls-the entire unit will need to be repalced as the light is a "sealed" unit. Your dealer or Airstream will have the light. After you get the new unit seal the edges where the red lens meets the black plastic backer and also seal where the wires enter the back of the unit. After the sealant has had a chance to set up just unplug the old light, plug in the new one and reinstall with the supplied new black gasket.

overlander63-no offense taken, I can see where my explaination could cause you to think that.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Jasco Paint and Epoxy Remover

Triplenet:
I used "Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover." I bought it at my local hardware store, OB Hardware (naturally), but I have seen it at Home Depot also. It only took a few minutes. I had neglected the light housings and they also had some corrosion (pitting)---that took some work. I used wet-dry paper and sanded it with 8 different grits starting with 100 and going to 2500. The pitting was deep in a few spots. I was going to put a clear coat of lacquer or auto clear coat on them, but 2Air suggested that I leave them "naked" which is what I ended up doing. I think for those two items and my rear bumper it will be easier to polish them every few months rather than take them off and redo them completely every couple of years.

Randy
Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
Randy,
Thanks for the tips on stripping. I also have some pitting.
Bob
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Clarkdale , Arizona
wayne&sam you are correct it probably is a warranty item. johnco thanks for the single unit info,did not think of that. is that sikaflex221 what you use to seal it all in the inside like you direct and what do you use for the outside once everythiing is bback on the trailer. i see they use a seal between the housing and the trailer body? thanks for the help