Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
1975 25' Trade Wind

1975 25' Tradewind
Los Luceros , New Mexico
What are these?

I am replacing the clearance lights and when I took off one of the old lights I found this. I'm not sure what it is. I'm guessing it's for protection but I don't know what it is. It's like a cardboard or a felt like material. Do you know what it is and if it's rare maybe where to find some more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ASfelt1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	26145   Click image for larger version

Name:	ASfelt2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	26146  

Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
looks like the original gasket that came with the light?

john
Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
looks like the original gasket that came with the light?

john
Yup, mine had em too. made some out of thin rubber gasket material.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
It looks like a water proofing gasket to help keep the inside of your trailer dry. If you buy new lights they should also have one. If not you can cut your own out from bulk gasket material available at most auto part stores. Just trace around the light and cut .
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Like John said, It looks like the backing gasket. Should be able to find a replacement, if not buy a sheet of gasket material at a parts store, trace and cut your own.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
My experience with the same vintage type of lighting on my Argosy was that identical and compatible lighting bases were available at any local fleet store or RV dealer I visited locally. It was easy to install new but re-use wiring as it came out of the trailer shell. The bases come with new plastic domes also -- yellow for front and red for rear. Do a little shopping and you will see what I mean. Use Vulkem or Sikaflex on the hole coming out of the shell. Old bicycle tube can be cut to the outline and used as the backing gasket under the new base.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
1975 25' Trade Wind

1975 25' Tradewind
Los Luceros , New Mexico
Now, gasket material is a cork type material right?. This feels like a felt, should I be concerned about material makeup? or just use the cork?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I would use one of the facric/paper type gasket materiels if you have to make one, or as someone suggested inner tube. If you go with inner tube, I would make it out of car tube - it will be thicker.
Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
That was supposed to read "fabric/paper", and no, I would not use cork. My 2-cents.
Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Marker/Clearance light gasket

Just go to your local auto parts store ( as suggested earlier ) and get sheet gasket material and cut your new gaskets. Put Silkaflex or Vulkem at the surronding opening edges in the trailer ( as suggested earlier ) and only cut one small round opening for the existing wire from the traler to feed thru to the marker light base ( to prevent a larger opening for water to leak through ). The new gasket material will be a better waterproof gasket than the original as it will be made from silicon or butyl rubber rather than fiber or cork. That should answer your questions and get you back on track with better leak protection. Then Just go camping as your lighting issue should be resolved. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Butyl Tape

It's called Butyl Tape and you can get it at any trailer supply house. It comes in bulk rolls - anywhere from 1/2 to 2" wide. Because of the curvature of the AS you have to use this stuff. Flat, even thickness gaskets will fail or open up with the heating and cooling of the skin. This stuff is more like playdoh and squishes out from around the light as you tighten the screws. trim the excess off with a wood popcicle stick sharpened to an edge.

A whole roll - 25 feet - was $4. Too expensive - I have 24 feet left after doing mine........
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Butyl tape

Hey Michael, Wanna sell me some? How about 6 feet? I'll send you a crisp new one dollar bill and whatever you pay for a Post Office shipping box and postage to get it to me. That would use up 1/4th of what you are stuck with and save me from buying a 25 foot roll. If so send me a PM with your address and the amount to ship it and the money will be on the way to you. My home address is: Ralph E. Carver 451-East 7th Street Court Milan, IL 61264-2836. Thanks, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
It's called Butyl Tape and you can get it at any trailer supply house.

It is also called live rubber. That is the best and easiest thing to use (unless of coarse you are trying to restore it back to the original) you put it behind the new light press it on and trim the excess. It will never rot, crack, or dry up. It works great.
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Butyl Tape For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
Hey Michael, Wanna sell me some? How about 6 feet? I'll send you a crisp new one dollar bill and whatever you pay for a Post Office shipping box and postage to get it to me. That would use up 1/4th of what you are stuck with and save me from buying a 25 foot roll. If so send me a PM with your address and the amount to ship it and the money will be on the way to you. My home address is: Ralph E. Carver 451-East 7th Street Court Milan, IL 61264-2836. Thanks, Ed
BIGED52 - I PM'ed you.

This stuff lasts forever and works great. My lights were original and when I pulled them off to polish the stuff was still plyable - 40 years old. I'll send the excess to you but it's not that much to find it at Camping World. Got mine at a local camper supply store.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
We are planning to replace our lights also. As was mentioned - the problem is finding the lights with gaskets included. Finally called AS and they had the lights including gaskets - suprisingly - no more expensive than a local RV dealer - I believe $2.75 per light. The paper/felt material we found at Auto Zone in a small 8" by 2' roll - it's also used for example as the gasket material around the "porch light" lens. Have fun cutting that puppy - but it worked.

Another easy to work with gasket material is shower pan liner - at any home center - it has the benefit of being gray so it blends in well. Still another good gasket when you need something thick - (behind the side wall brakets holding the awning) is pipe saddle gasket - again from a home center - it cushions and it's waterproof - but it is black. Good luck with your project...
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote