Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Vintage Kin Owner
detroit , Michigan
weather stripping

Replacing weather stripping on the 67 GT. Worried about damaging the molding if I scrape too hard, any tips for stripping the old rubber off?
Also prep of the window for the new rubber, is a good soap/H2O, mineral spirits cleaning, and thin coat of 3m's glue it?
Thanks, Wagongirl
wagongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Check out this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11230

I'm getting ready to replace all of the window weatherstripping in my Excella and I ordered the materials from:

http://www.cleanseal.com/products.htm

Their minimum order is 100 ft. which is about what it takes to do the job on my trailer. For the "D" section model 109 EPDM with adhesive already on the weatherstripping it was $.50 per foot plus shipping.

I remember reading in a different post on the subject, to use a fine circular wire brush, the kind designed for use in an electric drill to remove the old residue and rubber remnants. I found one thats about 2" in diamerter and 1/2" deep at the local tool supply company, but Sears probably has them. Be sure to get the fine grade and not the course grade wire to prevent damage to the aluminum surfacrs. Afterwards, clean up with a little lacquer thinner on a rag and you're ready to install the new gaskets.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Here's another source for weatherstripping however, their minimum orders are somewhat large: http://trimlok.com/
Old 04-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Vintage Kin Owner
detroit , Michigan
Thanks, got the weatherstripping, just waiting for us to do it. The wire brush seems like just the ticket. Wagongirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Check out this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11230

I'm getting ready to replace all of the window weatherstripping in my Excella and I ordered the materials from:

http://www.cleanseal.com/products.htm

Their minimum order is 100 ft. which is about what it takes to do the job on my trailer. For the "D" section model 109 EPDM with adhesive already on the weatherstripping it was $.50 per foot plus shipping.

I remember reading in a different post on the subject, to use a fine circular wire brush, the kind designed for use in an electric drill to remove the old residue and rubber remnants. I found one thats about 2" in diamerter and 1/2" deep at the local tool supply company, but Sears probably has them. Be sure to get the fine grade and not the course grade wire to prevent damage to the aluminum surfacrs. Afterwards, clean up with a little lacquer thinner on a rag and you're ready to install the new gaskets.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Wagongirl,

I removed the peeling weatherstripping from our screen door with a product called D-Solve It. (Or something very close to that name.) It's like Goo-Gone. It's a citrus oil-based product that is easy on hands, trailer finishes, and most everything else except glue.

I applied the D-Solve It and allowed it to sit a while before scraping the weatherstripping with my fingernail. I cleaned everything up with a toothbrush and a rag.

I'm sure that Goo-Gone would have worked just as well, but I don't have any.

DO NOT use mineral spirits for cleaning prior to gluing anything. It is just a very light weight oil. Use alcohol. I use denatured alcohol. It's available in the paint section at Wal-Mart.

Loren
Old 04-19-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I scraped of the old gasket as best I could with a screwdriver. Then I used my dremal with a sanding drum bit and cleaned it down to bare shinny metal.

No solvents were used. It worked out great for me but did make a bit of a mess!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 07:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I just replaced all the window weatherstrip on Vintage Thunder yesterday. I updated the blog at http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintage...underblog.html if you want to read about the process. It's easy ...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Rich,

Nice description on the gasket replacement. But you didn't tell the trick about putting the windows back on the hinge.

Did you replace the retainer clips for the window arms? I tried using 1/4" speed nuts on mine, but they keep falling off. I bought a 7/32" E clip and it may work but it not quite right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
I just replaced all the window weatherstrip on Vintage Thunder yesterday. I updated the blog at http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintage...underblog.html if you want to read about the process. It's easy ...
Old 04-26-2005, 06:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
The Clean Seal weatherstripping shape #109 came in last week and the 3M Super Weatherstripping Adhesive #08008 came in Monday so today was a good day to get started. A 100' Roll of the Clean Seal Weatherstripping with adhesive applied cost me $56.

I ordered the weatherstripping with adhesive already applied because they use a 3M double sided adhesive strip just like is used on the back of the vinyl belt inserts on the newer trailers. The adhesive is great. Getting the weatherstripping with adhesive applied makes the job much easier. I used the 3M in the tube to glue together the miter joints at the window in the front of the trailer and to close loops on the other windows.

The tube 3M is messy but a premium product. The Clean Seal weatherstripping is also a premium product.

IF I had it to do over, I would have gotten the Clean Seal shape #108. It is the same height as the #109 but it matches the width of the flange. The flange for the weatherstripping is 1/2" wide, shape #108 is 1/2" wide and shape #109 is .6" wide.

I find I had no need for the wire wheel and cordless drill. My old weatherstripping just wasn't attached in a way requiring the wire wheel for cleanup. My cleanup was primarily with lacquer thinner on paper towels.

I got 3 windows done today and will finish tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Nice description on the gasket replacement. But you didn't tell the trick about putting the windows back on the hinge.

Did you replace the retainer clips for the window arms? I tried using 1/4" speed nuts on mine, but they keep falling off. I bought a 7/32" E clip and it may work but it not quite right.

Hmmm.. sounds like our windows are a bit different. The Argosy has only a single acorn nut attaching the arms to the windows. Remove the acorn nut and the window is free. Replacing the window is simply a matter of inverting the window and slipping it back into the hinge, then rotating down to where you can re-attach the arms.

In other words, we don't have any retainer clips. Perhaps you can post a pic of your set-up? I'd post mine but right now the trailer is 50 miles away. I can get you a picture next week.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #11
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
After about 20 trips to the hardware store and a baggie full of useless snaps, clips, and rings. I finally found the right one.

It's a 1/4" round snap ring and it was available at the local Ace Hardware.

It looks like this .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
Hmmm.. sounds like our windows are a bit different. The Argosy has only a single acorn nut attaching the arms to the windows. Remove the acorn nut and the window is free. Replacing the window is simply a matter of inverting the window and slipping it back into the hinge, then rotating down to where you can re-attach the arms.

In other words, we don't have any retainer clips. Perhaps you can post a pic of your set-up? I'd post mine but right now the trailer is 50 miles away. I can get you a picture next week.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:01 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Vintage Kin Owner
detroit , Michigan
If the weather permits this weekend, I will see which techique will work best with the 67's windows, thanks to all for letting me pick your brains.!!