Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Somewhere on , the East coast
Water Water Everywhere

We live in a tropical climate and right on the beach so I am taking Klevan's advice to search out the best preventive care for our Bambi. She's a 2005 stored in a building all her life and didn't get out much. Her skin is beautiful now but I understand she will age quickly...What can we do to help our aluminum stay purty.
She will be subjected to the tortures of Hawaii for at least 6 mos to a year longer. (This past winter we had more than 40 days of rain, record setting in some places.) Am I the only airhead with aluminum by the sea??? Since you all do restoration, hopefully you have warnings and advice as well....
Mahalo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-626S.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	22620  
dijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Well for starters salt air,salt corrosion would be the utmost concern all
over your trailer ,the metal/painted surfaces ,no matter to this type of
corrosion it takes no prisoners period .So keep it heavily waxed ,the seams
could use some buildup of wax protection ,the tongue ,tanks ,everywhere you
can wax it, wax it .I think I would get some storage or covering for it .
Garage or carport or a cover that breathes ,yet fits snuggly .Just as you
have on your car .The cover won't damage your paint on the car .It can't blow and whip around on it though .Get tank covers also.IT will be about protection ,the main thing here.Some say never cover it but as I stated there
are proper ways to do it ,like never use tarps or strech cords that will scratch up the finish etc. Aluminum will corrode so fast you won't believe it ,always
utilize whatever protection from the elements you can .All that rain and salt
air will be a challenge ,if it's to be outside all the time ,buy lots of the best wax you can and keep after it. Try to park it up off the ground somewhat
so the wet ground gets airflowing around under it .Set up a parking area
as suggested .Any way enjoy the islands .

Good luck

Scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
OH Brother what did I say?
I mispoke on the air ground thing,I meant to say the air flowing around under the trailer above the ground keeping it from being wet ,ie corrosion developing on the belly pan /frame rust etc.

Scott
Old 06-22-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Waxing in my future

Thanks Scott for the advice - do you have a recommendation on the wax? We may be able to build her a shelter in a couple of months but 'til then...I'll be waxing.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #5

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Aloha

Hawaii... wow! I saw an Airstream overlooking the highway on the west side of Oahu last December.

Was it very expensive to ship your trailer over there?

I had my Airstream at the beach here in California for six months and I really noticed the difference in the skin's condition... It required much more maintinance to keep it clean and salt free. I think the best you can do is regularly wash it with fresh water and keep a good coat of wax or sealant on it.
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello dijer,

You are welcome .I would use a premium paste wax from meguires,or mothers
alot of paste waxes have carnuba in them ,very resistive to the elements ,I like the paste wax in your case because you will want a few coats applied .Wax it in the shade or cooler hours and not in the direct sun ,The paste wax is more work, but you will be able to build up a better coat of
wax .I like #22 (I think) meguires high tech yellow wax .Easier to use .

Happy waxing

Scott
Old 06-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
True the onshore winds will be carrying salt if your'e near the ocean, but not everywhere in Hawaii has surf breaking - waves tumbling in gives off huge amounts of droplets that evaporate down to brine that keeps attracting moisture from the air and corrodes like crazy. That's where plenty of fresh water washing w/ fine plastic bristle boating deck brush and rinsing (daily) would be required...

If your trailer was shipped in an enlosed space you are ahead of the game, between that and dock holding areas in a marine environment the salt will have already compromised the vulnerable spots already.

Do drop in on the local small plane airport scene and ask around how they protect the airframes & fuselage from salt. Voice of experience there probably won't lead you wrong.

Aside from maintaining the shell I'd be tempted to spot coat exposed frame areas, axles & mounting hardware, and any other iron or steel showing corrosion with a phosphate rust-protection coating like this http://tinyurl.com/k9uly . Beware the hardware store varieties have a plastic coat base that can trap moisture underneath it, still rusting like crazy but have shiny black finish hiding the damage - moisture wicks in from edges and builds up layers of rust underneath like a pastry shell.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Will Do

Thanks for all the great advice - I will heed it and try my best to stave off this harsh environment. I imagine in a couple years I will be posting asking for restoration advice But that's the price we pay for the life we lead.
Aloha...