Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2006 28' Safari SE
Columbus , Ohio
Water Leak, Floor Repair

My 2002 International has a leak near the front wall under the sink. It seemed a simple problem but has turned into a nightmare. Pressure checks have shown that it is not plumbing related and I can find no visible seems leaking. (It is bare aluminum near where the water appears.) Plus, just to make it more challenging, it does not seem to leak all the time. I have camped in it for several days when it rained a lot and no water leak. Then I leave it parked for a while, "wha la" a wet spot on the wall under the sink.

All of the carpet has been removed so it is easier to see where the water is accumulating. It manifest itself in the form of a wet spot in the plywood right up against the outside wall. And here comes the nightmare part, usually mold appears also.

I have noticed when the unit is stored for a period of time that walking inside to the back of the trailer will cause water to leak from the curbside back corner, (exterior, water dripping off the storage tank and running away from the trailer on the ground) like water has accumulater underneath the unit. Maybe on top of one of the storage tanks.

Is it possible that somehow, dependent upon the angle the trailer is sitting at, the water is accumulating on a tank and permiates the inside by coming through the edge where the plywood meets the aluminum?

I will try raising the tongue height to see if water drains out and eleminates the water incursion but the damage is already done and I fear a monster repair bill to fix the area where the water comes in and replacing the damaged floor. It isn't visible, it is underneath the drawer, but I know its there!

One good thing if repairs are difficult I am only about an hour from the factory.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? What was required to stop the leak?

(Having difficulty getting this posted, hope it doesn't repeat)

Cstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Talking Mystery leak

Sounds like a seam leak. I have a 75 Trade Wind I am working the leaks out of now. Today we pulled some of the lower banding off and found several areas where the sealant has broken free from the aluminum. I had a mystery leak last fall that caused some floor rot. New piece patched in now. If you would like to see what the seam looks like I can post a pic tomorrow?
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote