Old 04-28-2004, 12:02 PM   #15
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I guess I could drill out a couple of rivets and check for myself ;-)

What a novel ideal ;-)

Thanks.

Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Bremerton , Washington
Definition of terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
I think that the answer to your question depends on the year model of your trailer. Earlier models are different than the Beatrice years, and the Thor years.
I'm curious......What is Beatrice years? Thor years?

Old 04-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Bremerton , Washington
Product questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscluchfc
1) The belly pan needs to breathe.
2) If you have water in the pan, it had to come from someplace. If the trailer has been sitting for some time, then it is either from condensation (unlikely in large quantities), or from a LEAK.
3) If you have a leak, then it is coming from the outside wall someplace, into the inner wall and then probably wetting the U-Channel that anchors the walls to the floor and to the frame. This is how floor rot starts...water leaks inside into the inner walls, fills up the U-Channel where it runs to, then saturates the floor by seepage through the anchoring points to the frame, and rots the wood. You must find and stop the water entry to the inner wall. This water leaking in also saturates the insulation in the walls along the path of flow along the ribs so, where it enters to where you find it wetting the floor can be a long distance the water travelled.
4) If it made it to the belly pan, then it came into contact with the frame and eventually will create a rust problem with the frame if it does not get dried out and stay dried out. I understand that if the pan is not sealed "tight" so it can breathe, that running down a wet highway can allow some into the pan, but gravity is still the law and measures can be taken to tilt the trailer and dry it out more quickly if such an event has occurred.
5) you must inspect and find the source of the water entry, and take positive measures to limit this from happening.

....just my 2 cents....I just spent a number of hours resealing the vent fans, the TV antenna, the AC, the plumbing vents on mine with parrbond and vulkem, and also using parrbond on the clearance lights and panel seams on the end caps and windows, side ribs and floor rub rail....now if it will just rain so I will know if I got it all done and fixed...
You mention "parrbond" and "vulkem". What are they? I'm looking for a silver caulk that Airstream used on the seals to match the outside sheeting. If the two items you mentioned are not that color, what product is?
Old 04-28-2004, 12:20 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I spoke to my dealer and to the factory directly about water in the belly pan in my '01 Safari. After I would wash my trailer and then move it, about a cup or two of water would come out the sides of the rear most pan where it joined the next one forward. It very rarely happened with rain so apparently my rinsing with the hose was hitting some area that allowed water in. My guess it was around the rear bumper area since there were direct holes in the bumper compartment (electrical cord storage) to the underbelly area.

Both the dealer and the factory said that this was a normal occurance and that I shouldn't be concerned. They said that as long as it drained it would not cause problems.

Personally I never was totaly comfortable with this answer but for all intents it wasn't a big problem as far as I could tell.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 12:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallman
You mention "parrbond" and "vulkem". What are they? I'm looking for a silver caulk that Airstream used on the seals to match the outside sheeting. If the two items you mentioned are not that color, what product is?
Parrbond is the caulking that can be obtained in aluminum color and is used for areas less than 1/8".
Vulkem is the caulking material that is grey and is used for larger seams, sealing roof vents, TV Antenna, and plumbing vents; and, application between panels at factor assembly.
Both are available at Airstream dealers, airstreamdreams.com, inlandrv.com and elsewhere.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallman
I'm curious......What is Beatrice years? Thor years?
Airstream was founded by Wally Byam, and was sold in the early 70's to Beatrice Foods after Wally Byam's death. Thor became the owner in 1980.
I believe that the answer to your questions about the History of Airstream and it's owners can be found in part at the following link:

http://www.calldon.com/air.htm
Old 04-28-2004, 02:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Tim,
Your 71 bellypan overlaps the sides. My 73 does the same. Yes it is backwards in my opinion as all water running down the sides of the trailer has an opportunity to go into the belly pan. My trailer didn't have any indication of ever being sealed to the sides. I vulkemed between the sides and belly pan, reriveted the trim strip back on and parbonded the top of the trim strip to help things. You will still have water get into the pan going down the road as it can enter in the step well, the edges by the axle plates, and water can still get in through the rear trunk. I alleviate this by parking my trailer with a excessive nose high attitude to facilitate water drainage out the back.

Hope this helps.

Tripp
Old 04-28-2004, 02:21 PM   #22
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Thanks Tripp.

That's what I thought. It is dumb, maybe there is some reason we don't know about. But it should overlap all the way down just like the siding does.

I don't really want to remove my while trim, so I think I will just vulkemize the top side of the trim....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:45 PM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Thanks Tripp.

That's what I thought. It is dumb, maybe there is some reason we don't know about. But it should overlap all the way down just like the siding does.

I don't really want to remove my while trim, so I think I will just vulkemize the top side of the trim....

well...think about how they build and assemble these things. the bodies are built seperate from the frames....bodies then mounted to frame. then they cover the exposed frame with the banana wrap. so it sort of has to overlap the side panels. you couldn't really tuck it under the side panels very easily...not without removing a whole bunch of bucked rivets, I would think.

it was said by a well-known airstream expert in another thread a while back that water getting in there shouldn't harm anything....but it was harming things on my trailer. or at least I think it was. My carefree (ha! that's a laugh!) awning is mounted to a bracket right on that lower trim piece...over time, it started to pull away from the body there, and sort of bent open both the trim and the banana wrap. water was just pouring in there...well, you'd think it would just trickle down to the belly pan and drain out...but it was also saturating the plywood floor in the process. When I removed this bracket entirely to re-attach it with a new, non-rusted lag screw, I could stick my finger in the gap there and feel the soaked plywood. so when I put it all back together with a weather-proof fastener (holy crap? they actually make things out of stainless steel, do they??? ), I par-bonded the trim strip for good measure.

now, I suppose that its entirely possible that the wet plywood was coming from a leak that just coincidentally deposited the water right above this awning bracket...there is a window right above this spot. but I don't know...kind of skeptical.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote