Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
PoconoAir's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 124
Images: 26
Water Coming in the Reefer Stack

We had a heavy rain last night and I see some water here and there but not surprising since I did not finish going over the skin. But I was up looking over the reefer stack cover and wonder if anyone else suspects water often does this in a downpour. It looks to me like that stack cover was designed for flat roof applications. I am considering blocking the upper side of the plastic cover and maybe making air flow on the lower side easier. I do like the shape of the plastic cover but...

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ref. Cover Water.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	39644  
__________________

__________________
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Aerowood's Avatar

 
1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,841
Could you post a picture? I believe that the original was Aluminum but I'm not entirely sure. I do know that it is aluminum on my 71. The plastic one my not be the fight shape or sets to high. The aluminum vent on my 71 is enclosed on the top side.
__________________

__________________
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
 
campngirl's Avatar
 
1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86
The refer vent cover on my 64 is plastic, cracked and looks to be original????
I am curious as to what others have and any modifications or improvements that have been made.

Karol
__________________
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
PoconoAir's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 124
Images: 26
Does anyone have a 'feel for" how freely air should be able to exit this vent? If some on later models are just open on the bottom (coming from the factory) that is good enough indication for me.

Here is a pic and the upper side looks exactly like this.

Barry
Attached Images
 
__________________
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by campngirl
The refer vent cover on my 64 is plastic, cracked and looks to be original????
I am curious as to what others have and any modifications or improvements that have been made.

Karol
Metal reefer vent covers have been available for replacement of the old plastic covers, for over 37 years.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoAir
Does anyone have a 'feel for" how freely air should be able to exit this vent? If some on later models are just open on the bottom (coming from the factory) that is good enough indication for me.

Here is a pic and the upper side looks exactly like this.

Barry
Air comes in thru the bottom of the floor, behind the reefer, then exhausts thru the exterior vent cover.

Your cover is plastic. Metal replacements are available.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
campngirl's Avatar
 
1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86
Barry,

The refer vent cover on my 64' looks exactly the same as yours. I am going to replace it w/ metal. Have a patch on the the vent cover and haven't experienced any water comming down..... although that had cross my mind.

I was going to suggest that you ask Andy/ Inland RV and specifics, but I see he already got back to you.

Karol
__________________
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
campngirl's Avatar
 
1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 86
Thanks Andy,

I will be replacing old vent cover w/ a metal version.

Karol
__________________
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
 
PoconoAir's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 124
Images: 26
Is the metal replacement part open on the top? I see your picture here:
http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/84000-refrventcvr.jpg
but can not tell if the bouncing rain is controlled or not. Replacing the OE plastic one with metal is a no brainer.
__________________
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
PoconoAir's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 124
Images: 26
If they had made a better tool and used deep draw aluminum killed steel the part would not have those rinkles along the edges. I will probably fabricate mine out of fibreglass reenfotced polyester and redesign it at the same time. I do like the shape of the OE part though so I will try to retain that look. The FRP reefer chimney went pretty fast since no changes had to be made.

Andy can you give us the background/history on the metal replacement part?

thanks

Barry
__________________
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
PoconoAir's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 124
Images: 26
Deep drawing

Oh, make that deep draw aluminum!!! Sorry
__________________
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoAir
If they had made a better tool and used deep draw aluminum killed steel the part would not have those rinkles along the edges. I will probably fabricate mine out of fibreglass reenfotced polyester and redesign it at the same time. I do like the shape of the OE part though so I will try to retain that look. The FRP reefer chimney went pretty fast since no changes had to be made.

Andy can you give us the background/history on the metal replacement part?

thanks

Barry
That part is made by the Airstream factory.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:19 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member
 
PoconoAir's Avatar
 
1965 17' Caravel
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 124
Images: 26
Mine is a little bit faded but looks like it was some sort of marbalized coloring. It definitely was not designed for this application because the bottom surface is FLAT! It has such a nice shape I have to either reproduce it in FRP or reinforce it with "fibreglass" on the inside and make the corrections. If one were to close off the top it probably should be slid down the roof an inch or two. No one seems to know if the metal replacement part is open or closed on the top. Maybe I can find a better picture on the net somewhere.
__________________
PoconoAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoconoAir
Mine is a little bit faded but looks like it was some sort of marbalized coloring. It definitely was not designed for this application because the bottom surface is FLAT! It has such a nice shape I have to either reproduce it in FRP or reinforce it with "fibreglass" on the inside and make the corrections. If one were to close off the top it probably should be slid down the roof an inch or two. No one seems to know if the metal replacement part is open or closed on the top. Maybe I can find a better picture on the net somewhere.

This is a photo of the Airstream reefer vent cover that has been used for over 35 years.

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/84000-refrventcvr.jpg

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repair or Replace Original Bowen Water Heater? Andy R Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 8 11-16-2005 04:51 PM
need plumbing map for water pump silverbullet Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 1 09-22-2002 10:13 PM
Water leaks Craig Fresh Water Systems 3 08-08-2002 02:44 PM
Replace copper water lines in '61 Bambi 61BambiCanada Fresh Water Systems 1 05-22-2002 07:04 AM
Looking for ideas hot water FrankR Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps 3 05-09-2002 11:28 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.