Old 09-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
Vulkem 116 @ Fastenal

The Fastenal store in my town has Vulkem 116 in a few colors, closest for my use being Aluminum Stone. I looked at the Tremco website where they have a color chart showing such colors as "Aluminum", "Grey". and the "Aluminum Stone". On my computer monitor I can hardly tell the difference in the colors.

What color of Vulkem do you use on your Airstream.?

I was also looking for the Tremco 635 and 636. Tremco customer service said that Fastenal was their main distributor and can order anything they make. My local Fastenal said they would have to order a whole case. I hope I don't need that much. I think Vintage supply has them in "Aluminum" color.

Leaks can be so complicated!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Vintage Trailer Supply does carry Trempro 635 and 636 but they are out of stock at the moment. You can get on their email list to be notified when their shipment comes in.

Malcolm

Old 09-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
My Fastenal dealer lists the following product which I think is Trempro 635. There seems to be some confusion with the names Trempro and Tremco. Check it out and see what you think. The product photo looks like it is what I am looking for.

TP635Poly-Gray-300C 1-ptPolyurethane,FastCure,NoSolvent

Malcolm
Old 09-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I forgot to mention that Vulkem 116 seems to be routinely available at Home Depot. If I understand correctly Vulkem 116 has a bit more texture to it than Trempro 636 but is otherwise more or less the same. I am trying to find the thread or posting that explained the differences. I have used Vulkem 116 on less visible locations on my Airstream and it seems to be fine.

I checked stock at all of the Fatenal stores in my surrounding area and they are all out of stock on the Trempro 635.

Malcolm
Old 09-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I just called my local Fastenal store the other day for the first time and ordered the Tremco 636 in Aluminum color. I believe this (636) to be the original "Vulkem" product that everyone talks so highly about, but I don't know for sure as I've never used the stuff. Fastenal also told me the same thing that they needed to order a whole case, but said I only needed to purchase the amount I needed. So will stop in a pick up probably 2 tubes, but at least if I need more they will have it in stock. They did build shipping into the cost (pro-rated I believe per piece) so it will run me about $9 per 300ml "caulking" tube, which didn't seem too unreasonable to me for such a specialized product.

-Eric
Old 09-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
Yes Trempro 635 and 636 are the current non-textured alternatives to Vulkem 116. Trempro 635 I've been told is the faster curing alternative (tack free in 90 min) versus the 636 version that is tack free in 4 to 8 hours. Frankly, I've never been able to personally compare them. So, I'll just start with the one that I have in hand and go from there. I suppose that Vulkem 116 is also a slow setting compound. I'll find out when I use....currently waiting for rain to stop and a little drying time.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Tanker, I've never used the 635, but but the 636 is smoother than theorigonal textured Vulkem. I personally like it much better. I'm sure there are some purists out there who like the texure but, for me the textured stuff just traps dirt more on extrerior applications. George
Old 09-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
A year or so ago there was a member here who was a factory rep for Vulkem and the other products. Seems he was in Canada somewhere.
It was very good to see him here as the Vulkem facts have been much confusing since these Forums began. Then he disappeared, like so many of the other really good and informative former posters around here.
Wonder why?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
This info is a bit dated but still seems relevant to the whole "Vulkem" issue.
http://www.tompatterson.com/AirstreamList/PriorMonths/2001_07/msg00165.html
Iíve been using the Trempro 636 on the Tradewind this summer and itís working out fine.
Plenty of working time and the unavoidable smears clean up easily with Xylol thinner.
The only issue is that the stuff starts to cure in the applicator tube of the cartridge within days of being opened no matter how good the seal. Get all your projects prepped and ready to go. In 2 weeks youíll be trying to drill out the tube to get the last half of goo to come out.

Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
I didn't want to waste a whole tube of product either, but I think my problem is an emergency, so I bought the Vulkem 116 instead of waiting for order and delivery of the Trempro 635 ( or 636). I read somewhere here that freezing the tube is a way to keep the product longer. Despite my wife's concern I told her I was going to possibly need a whole shelf in the freezer by the time I bought....well, let's see:
1. Vulkem
2. Trempro 635
3. Parlastic
4. Alcoa
5. etc. maybe Acryl-R and who knows what else.

All of them...I will try to seal(stop up) the end. Wrap in foil. Place in plastic Zip lock baggie. Put them in freezer as soon after I use it. I just hate to waste $.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
This info is a bit dated but still seems relevant to the whole "Vulkem" issue.
http://www.tompatterson.com/AirstreamList/PriorMonths/2001_07/msg00165.html
Iíve been using the Trempro 636 on the Tradewind this summer and itís working out fine.
Plenty of working time and the unavoidable smears clean up easily with Xylol thinner.
The only issue is that the stuff starts to cure in the applicator tube of the cartridge within days of being opened no matter how good the seal. Get all your projects prepped and ready to go. In 2 weeks youíll be trying to drill out the tube to get the last half of goo to come out.

Tom.
If you wrap it real good it will last for months in the fridge. I have'nt tried the freezer trick yet, but the fridge works good.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Austin , Texas
Vulkem out of the Freezer

Well it's been about a year and I needed just a very little bit of the Vulkem/Trempro. It's been in my freezer; I pulled it out last night. What chore. Most of the nozzle was plugged despite the nail I had put in there. I had to cut about 1" off the nozzle end to let some of the cured hard stuff out. I could never use the nozzle again for dispensing, but I did get enough product out to spread/tool with my finger tip.

Lesson learned.: Plan your jobs to make the best use of the caulk tube. Don't count on doing a "little today and then a little tomorrow". I'll still put it in the freezer again -- just to have a little dab when I need it. But....I would use a bigger nail/peg in the nozzle. It would probably be great after a couple of months, but 12 months is a long time.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Fastenal is a great source to buy Vulkem (Tempro 635). There's one located just a few miles from my home near the Deer Valley Airport in North Phoenix.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
A word of caution about paints/sealants in the freezer. Any chemicals that go into the air in the freezer will get into the food. Yup, I'll never do that again.

Doug