Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Use of Acryl-R on leaks

Okay folks, I have a brand new can of Acryl-R but of course it came without one word of instruction. Would someone who has used the stuff have a minute to give me pointers. I believe it is pretty simple and direct but I won't proceed until I hear from someone who has used it. Thanks.
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I just used it in two places. Around the tail light housing using the small tip on the applicator. Also the top of the awning rail using the small tip. The awning section had to be done again as the thin bead wicked into the seam to far for that use in my opinion.

The Airstream mechanic that is local advised taking the tip off for jobs like the awning rail and that worked much better.

The stuff is very sticky and mine stayed that way for a couple of days. I tried pulling it and pushing it to apply it and pulling the seam toward me worked best - you may find the opposite....

Used mineral spirits for the mistakes - the spec. sheet says alcohol. Have fun with it..

http://www.trustsm.com/pdf-sm/SM5555TDS.pdf
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
You can use painter's tape to mask around your application lines. It is very sticky and will wick into small holes. Believe I read somewhere that it will skim over in a number of hours but will remain viscous beneath the skin. It works real well for small seams and holes.
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:06 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Blaine , Washington
I just used Acryl-R on the seams and have a few comments that someone now or in the future might find helpful.

First comment: I'm female with typical female hands (read, "smaller than male hands") and average hand strength... I found I was wishing for another inch of finger length to make the Acryl-R applicator easier to work with. If I had had some spare time I would have found a way to rig it up to give me better leverage.

What did that mean? Well, it meant that I was needing to use two hands which wasn't always feasible... so that meant doing it one handed with many stops and starts. (read, "bumpy ride!")

It ain't gonna win any cake decorating contests.

Second comment: I recommend doing all your horizontal seams first. As the can contents are used up, when you tip the can the applicator then pulls up air, leaving you with pumping out a bubble (and the goosh that precedes). So, if you do all the horizontal seams first, then you'll minimize tipping the can later when the contents have decreased in the can.

I didn't have the guts to put painter's tape down, by the way... was worried it would pull off Acryl-R (and make a stringy mess). I had to go cook dinner for the kids, so just needed to get the job done.

By the Bay
By the Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Temporary seam sealant?

Okay.

The first rains past in the SF Bay Area and no leak on the Safari. Previously, during heavy rains, I noted an interior leak at the rear window. Today, on an inspection of the trailer, I noted a hairline crack in the upper rear quarter segment caulking that would match up with the previous interior leaks I have experienced.

Can I use Acryl-R as a temporary fix, given its' wicking/capillary abilities, to seal the crack? Or would such an application be a permanent fix?

Please let me know your opinion.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop View Post
...Can I use Acryl-R as a temporary fix, given its' wicking/capillary abilities, to seal the crack?
Or would such an application be a permanent fix?
hi bebop

ALL sealant use is temporary in the BIG sand timer...

and acryl-r needs to be inspected and redone every few years in NORMAL applications...

filling a crack in OLD SEALANT isn't exactly normal use, but the fix could last a while...

till the crack in the old dry sealant changes.

one could also just goop NEW sealant over the old,

with or without acryl-r filling the crack first.

assuming the segments are NOT SHIFTING and the cracked sealant is just old dry stuff...

??why not just dig it out, clean and RE seal properly??

that's not permanent either but 10-20 years is better than 2-4.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
2air,

Thanks for the input. My intent is to surgically remove the old caulk and reseal, given the time. At this point, given constraints and the "off site" (~5 miles from my home) location of the trailer, I want to make a temporary fix/seal until I can do it "right". The trailer is pristine exclusive of this one breach, and everytime it rains, I envision a wet interior liner at the bottom of the window.

I love this thing and want to apply a "band-aid" prior to employing a longer term fix.

So, do you think in the short run an Acyrl-R application would do it? The crack is probably <.5mm but about 10 cm long.

I just want to be able to sleep at night.
Prodigy/Enkay/Hensley/Solar/LED lighting
AIR 4598 / WBCCI FCU 8579/
EAA 872814
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop View Post
...So, do you think in the short run an Acyrl-R application would do it? The crack is probably <.5mm but about 10 cm long.

I just want to be able to sleep at night.
yes it WILL should might maybe sorta could possibly perhaps slightly work, definitely!

after filling the < 50 sq mm of crack,

take the remaining FULL container of acryl-r home and sniff it.

u'll sleep better and get high all at once.

but i cannot predict WHAT dreams may come.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you don't think you have the time to dig the old out and put the same sealer back in - slap a long piece of 3" blue painters tape on it till you can get to it in the spring. You may have a little adhesive to clean off but it removes pretty easily. I'd sleep better with the tape .... but dreaming in a blue haze suits me... (or was that a purple haze)..
Old 10-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
...I'd sleep better with the tape .... but dreaming in a blue haze suits me... (or was that a purple haze)..
i tried both green and blue 3m easy adhesive tape for exactly THIS issue last winter/spring.

it worked fine keeping water out, until it rained.

i doubt bebop wants to tape over his/her much loved and pristine stream.

even with the bandaid reference.

however IF i was to use tape again, it'd be somethin' wacky tacky like gorilla duck tape.

that stuff is so sticky it might just pull OFF the old sealant and rivets when removed...

them gorilla eatin' ducks is bad, don't mess with the big ducks.

actin funny, but i dont know why
scuse me while i kiss the sky

cheers
2air'

Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
i tried both green and blue 3m easy adhesive tape for exactly THIS issue last winter/spring.

it worked fine keeping water out, until it rained.
What did ya have on your fingers when you applied it... Trix dust...

I used it last year on the trunk seam - lasted thru an Ohio winter....