Old 05-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Mandeville , Alabama
Trying to seal her up!

Just going over every possible leak issue because of wetness in the floor!!! Sealing up tail lights around all doors, windows & vents. Where else should I be looking? What about exterior trim near the Floor-line

Natty Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
Mandeville , Alabama

Name:   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433032346.295578.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  99.2 KB

Natty Lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Seal everywhere. I found the leak that caused wetness at the door was the skylight. Sealed where cracked at screws. Leak stopped. Now have new Maxim skylight to install. What an amazing piece of wormanship is that new skylight! Other leak required removal of the bottom rub strip at the trunk..a common issue and I learned about that from the great people on this forum. I ordered the sealing kit from Airstream. Good starter package. After driving in a VERY HARD rain...sealed around one battery box. Now everything is dry. Moisture meter is also a good investment. I have removed all carpet I could around edges and out of site. Have laminate in living-kitchen. All is very good and no water damage. TLC is a very good thing and the Airstream deserves it.
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1990 25' Excella
Foley , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to voxmaestro Send a message via Skype™ to voxmaestro
If you have awnings, run a bead of your choice of sealant right above where they attach. Check to see any mounting rivets are sealed also (awning, brackets for struts, etc). This cost me a good deal of work in repairs!

Pay special attention to where the end caps mount to the body. Several aftermarket or after-assembly (and water testing) accessories are installed in those locations and are frequent sources of small slow leaks. Also the radius lines around the doors and panoramic windows.

That's where I have noticed small issues in my 25 y/o rig.

voxmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Check the gasket in the plumbing vent stack. If more than 10 years old it probably needs to be replaced.
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Tops around all the windows above the drip edges, dental pick out the old sealant if worn, use a little masking tape around both sides of the 'crack' and work some new sealant in them all really well, wet finger smooth, pull up the masking tape, and you'll have a nice looking bead. Especially on top of front window, good to seal the top of the bar that joins the wing windows to the center window.
You can put a nice bead of silver silicone along the top of the rub rail to seal it.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Also look for a water leak from plumbing.

We had a slow drip from a filter fitting that eventually seeped under the bed and we only found it as a wet spot by the driver side twin. Took forever to dry out the carpets in Texas humidity.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
2008 Base Camp
Elizabethtown , Kentucky
Several years ago, we took our brand new Basecamp on its first outing. During a rainstorm, we noticed that several little drips of water occurred on the wall. Obviously, everything was not completely sealed. I went to Airstream Forum and found a post that was particularly interesting, especially after reading what all had to be done to reseal properly (according to Airstream). This person on the Forum shared that he had discovered "Capt, Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure," and that his leak problems had been solved.
We purchased Capt. Tolley's and set about going along each panel on the outside of the Basecamp. We had no more leaks. It was easy to use and solved our problem. Read about it at the link Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure

basecamper is offline   Reply With Quote