Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
undetermined , Washington
Tips for finding the source?

Are there any tips for finding the source of a leak? Now that my carpet is out I can see that I have four. One is just water running through the antenna cable, two are coming out at the seams in the vinyl (one leak on each side) which I suspect is coming from the skylights. But I have a leak in the bathroom, there arent any seams in the wall so it's getting the floor wet and could be coming from anywhere. There are seams back there on the outside, as well as rivets. I don't want to goop up all the rivets if I dont need to (that wouldnt look very good, right?) Suggestions?
MonaxLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Chasing down leak sources can be tricky as water tends to take the path of least resistance and may travel along some precarious route before becoming evident. Here's a thread where a member performed his own pressure test to help identify leaks.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...highlight=leak

This service is available at some RV dealers as well and we have a member (soldiermedic though he's not exactly close to you) who also does this type of work.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Chasing down leak sources can be tricky as water tends to take the path of least resistance and may travel along some precarious route before becoming evident. Here's a thread where a member performed his own pressure test to help identify leaks.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...highlight=leak

This service is available at some RV dealers as well and we have a member (soldiermedic though he's not exactly close to you) who also does this type of work.

Best of luck,

Kevin
Wow, what a great idea! Mine still has all the stuff in it but I have been wondering about those things on the roof, I guess they've got something to do with the plumbing. I'll have to get up there and look at them. Can anyone explain "weep holes"? I don't want to seal something I'm not supposed to.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
As far as the bathroom leak, check the caulk around the exhaust fan on the roof. Also the cover on the fan, they crack too. I wouldn't caulk rivits., they are usually OK cause they are sealed from the inside at the factory unless someone changed them out somewhere along the line. If you do a test as mentioned by Kevin245 that will show exactly where the problem is located.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
The only place I know of for weep holes, on the roof, is on the base of the bathroom exhaust fan. There is usually one on the low side of the base and is about 1/8" dia hole along the metal base and leave that little hole open. It's on the side of the base near the bottom, not under it.
There may be more weep holes in other places, but I have not seen any. Sometimes clearance light covers have them but you wouldn't be caulking those anyway and only sealing around the base of the light fixture.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
I took a look with the ladder, are my pipe vents supposed to be open? It seems like rain is just going to be pouring in there. But there are two and neither one has a cover.
Also, it looks like the rivets on the back are different. They have little holes in the middle (fake rivets? I dont know anything about rivets so I dunno) but I havent seen any others like these around the rest of the trailer...not that I've looked too closely but anyhow..

Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Those vents are designed that way. There is a rubber gasket inside that tends to degrade over time and that may be the leak. Those screws could be replaced with stanless steel screws when and if you decide to redo the vents. Kits are available and there are past threads on how to do this, but someone better at the search function than me needs to tell you where.

Inland RV sells the kits and I believe can give you guidance.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote