Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
This goop does what?

Does anyone have a chart, spread sheet, etc. or a link of all the various sealers, i.e. Vulkum, Silkaflex, butyl tape, etc. and what they are used for specific to Airstream. Seems like everybody does their own thing which may be ok but was just curious for base line purposes here. New owner here of a 63 that will no doubt be getiing the treatment here and there.

Thanks
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoa Roller View Post
Does anyone have a chart, spread sheet, etc. or a link of all the various sealers, i.e. Vulkum, Silkaflex, butyl tape, etc. and what they are used for specific to Airstream. Seems like everybody does their own thing which may be ok but was just curious for base line purposes here. New owner here of a 63 that will no doubt be getiing the treatment here and there.

Thanks
For a 1963, you can use Vulkem that's tough and slow setting, Sikaflex that's also tough but very fast setting, like 60 minutes, or Parr-bond, for small seams.

Staying with the materials that Airstream has been using for many years, won't lead you astray.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Thanks for response Andy. I see you all over these boards and your knowlege and help are appreciated. I guess what I am really after is a comprehensive list, of what is used, where it is used, and why it is used. Not asking anyone to reinvent the wheel, just thought someone might have it or a link to such a page.

Thanks again.
Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
For a 1963, you can use Vulkem that's tough and slow setting, Sikaflex that's also tough but very fast setting, like 60 minutes, or Parr-bond, for small seams.

Staying with the materials that Airstream has been using for many years, won't lead you astray.

Andy
What do you recommend for resealing the hole where the umbilical goes up into the AS through the floor. Also, where it enters the A-frame at the tongue? I am replacing mine and it was filled with a rubbery gray material at the floor, and maybe the same stuff, but painted black at the tongue, along with a rubber collar (which I saved) at both ends.
Rich of SCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich of SCal View Post
What do you recommend for resealing the hole where the umbilical goes up into the AS through the floor. Also, where it enters the A-frame at the tongue? I am replacing mine and it was filled with a rubbery gray material at the floor, and maybe the same stuff, but painted black at the tongue, along with a rubber collar (which I saved) at both ends.
Vulkem works great for that purpose.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
San Bernardino , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Vulkem works great for that purpose.

Andy
Thanks