Old 03-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1994 25' Excella
Los Angeles , California
The Funky Star Ship gets dry

Hey guys,

Since I got the '94 Excella 25' I've been "getting to know her" more and more intimately... and she smells up a storm.

First I thought it was poor sewage ventilation causing it, but then I realized it was worse... much worse: The roof leaks a ton!

And what's even double-worse, it appears the interior is laid out specifically to maximize the mold-creating potential of each drop that enters the coach. I'm talking about the colossal short-sightedness of laying the carpet down BEFORE all the Plumbing, Fixtures and Cabinetry.

In addition, the skylight is designed from flimsy plastic and screwed DOWN into the frame holding it... er... hello? Am I the only one to see the weakness of design and execution here? It's almost as if there's a sinister plan to turn all of these fine looking coaches into stink bombs. Here's a look at the thoroughly rotten piece of wood from the skylight frame:

Before this turns any more rant-a-licious, let's get back to my specific problems: Getting dry, and staying that way.

Problem 1: Getting under the fridge to remove funky carpet without removing the fridge itself seems impossible. In addition, the base supporting the fridge is screwed THROUGH the carpet into the floor, so now when I remove wet carpet, I have to put shims back under the fridge -CRAZY! The Cabinetry creates a solid box around the fridge itself, and yet another box underneath it, where the sewage pipe snakes around on top of the carpet (which, to make things even more funkadelic, is covered with super strong plastic, just to make sure that every drop that wicks into the carpet from the side via osmosis will stay there forever) Solution: A drill and a Sawzall combine to make a little ventilation hole.
I still have no idea how to get more of that wet carpet out without totally tearing into the fridge... I might cut out the front piece, put in some ventilation holes, and make a custom latch so I could get under there. Got ideas?

Lastly, all the foam-backed vinyl wall/ceiling cover has also turned into the ideal mold-making mechanism. With all these leaks from the roof coming in here and there, the foam soaks up the water, which then gets held in by the vinyl, turning half the coach into a petri pillow. It's all beginning to fall apart The stink that gushed forth when I removed this vinyl around the skylight took me to an ugly place...
Now I'm planning to ditch all of this material out of the trailer, and simply expose the aluminum for now. Got any tricks to help with this? It seems no matter how old the trailer, you just kind of have to make one work for you by re-building it they way you see fit... which is ok for people like me who like the feeling of bleeding knuckles.

Thankfully, I was a flat-roofing contractor in the old country, and found a way to set up shop up top with a piece of plywood and a rag.
Large gobs of Seamer Mate have now been applied on the roof. But my knees shudder at the thought of many more hours moving like Spider Man with a caulking gun up there.

What have I gotten myself into here? Another project, that's for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	123891   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0169.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	123892  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg