Old 11-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Shasta Lake City , California
Taken it...one leak at a time

Weather report says 4 days of sunshine in SLC, so it’s time to pull the tarp off the old girl and start cleaning, prepping, and sealing. Looks like “The Old Girl” is leaking water around the wing windows, the vista windows, the awning, and possible water leaks around all the vents, sky lights, and AC. Today I will clean around the vents, awning and AC. Tomorrow I will start sealing around the above said areas.

The task is feeling a little over whelming, but I will try to take it… ”one leak at a time”.
I will post photos as I go and I am sure I will have some questions for you Streamers who have already gone thru this process. I keep re-reading other threads concerning this task and you folks make it look easy. "Learning How To Become" a good RV tech in harder then I though it would be. trex

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cleaning roof.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	343.3 KB
ID:	114279
Using soap and water along awning

Name:	Cleaning with razorblade.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	114280
Note razorblade between glass & Alum frame

Name:	The old girl.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	114281

Note Walmart tent to the right of trailer is my storage area for all the "stuff I pulled out"

Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Hi Rex,

What is SLC California?

To me SLC is Salt Lake City, UT.

Regards,

Ken

I guess I can look forward to all that work in 2048.

I will only be 105

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Inland RV there in CA has most of the gaskets, etc. you will need. I was able to get everything for around my windows, storage doors, and entry door. They also have a full line of the various caulks needed for your 'stream. DO NOT use Silicone! It is inert with most materials, but it eats aluminum.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I guess I can look forward to all that work in 2048.

I will only be 105
That '72 may have been resealed many times, so I don't think you'll have to wait much longer than a couple of years, or less, Ken. Certainly before you are 70. I would like to see you on top of your trailer at 105, except I'll be 108. I'm still trying to get my wife to want to do that type of work, but nothing seems to convince her ("It'll make you more beautiful, dear", "what a feeling of accomplishment, honey", "you can see New Mexico up there", "there's a new outfit and new earrings up there just for you", "will you seal things on the roof for $20? $50, $100?").

I was wondered where "SLC" is in California too—Could it be San Luis Cobispo? San Luan Capistrano? Southern Lower California?

Rex, check the Airstream website for various sealants used on Airstreams. If you use Sikaflex, once you open the tube, it solidifies in the nozzles and is very difficult to pull out the semi-hard stuff without destroying the nozzle (I spent almost an hour trying to save the tube while in Fairbanks this summer; what a mess). You can also buy a can of sealant for certain uses with an applicator to apply it—it looks like you can clean out the applicator and use the stuff repeatedly. Last time I checked, Airstream was selling the can and applicator cheaper than other sources. I bought it but haven't had to use it yet. That time will come soon—in the next few weeks.

Gene
Old 11-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'm still trying to get my wife to want to do that type of work, but nothing seems to convince her ("It'll make you more beautiful, dear", "what a feeling of accomplishment, honey", "you can see New Mexico up there", "there's a new outfit and new earrings up there just for you", "will you seal things on the roof for $20? $50, $100?").

Gene,

I think you mentioned before that you wife was younger than you.

Susan is considerably younger than I. I was a junior in college when she was born. (we didn't get married right then, however)

I generally get her to do that sort of work, by convincing her that I will fall and kill myself if I try it, while at the same time failing to carry enough life insurance to make it sound attractive.

If that fails, I find it very easy, based on past experiences, to convince her that I will screw it up if I do it.

She installed our new Maxim sky lights while I stood on the ladder and handed her the tools.

So there is always hope.

Regards,

Ken
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ken, Barb is a mere ten years younger than me, and apparently I should have been checking out nurseries when I was in college (I certainly wasn't studying anything but beer). I have suggested I will fall off the roof and become crippled and totally dependent on her for my every dumb whim, but she just offers to get a mattress. Maybe there's a drug to promote obedience; there must be one because I think she's put it in my food.

I hope this all helps Rex. When you are on the roof, those curved sides look very slippery.

Gene
Old 11-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
I used silcone around my liscense plate holder. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Inland RV there in CA has most of the gaskets, etc. you will need. I was able to get everything for around my windows, storage doors, and entry door. They also have a full line of the various caulks needed for your 'stream. DO NOT use Silicone! It is inert with most materials, but it eats aluminum.
How do I remove the silicone from the AS?

Thanks,
Lin
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
SLC = Shasta Lake City, CA.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Tuttle , Oklahoma
One very good tip I read on a post here (thank you to whomever posted it). Use a piece of wood as a scraper. I used a scrap piece of oak about 3/4 wide and about 3/16 thick.
Sharpen one end like a chisel and smooth all other edges. It really helped scraping off the old sealant without damaging the aluminum. It can be resharpened as needed.
Apply sealant carefully and make sure you aren't covering any drain holes.
It can be time consuming but isn't too difficult. Patience is definitely a plus for this job.
Darrell
Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
They make little tiny roll on covers for sealant tubes now-a-days (look like condoms but really tiny!) that work quite well for keeping sealants flexable. Not sure about Sikaflex, but it works well on Vulkem.
We aren't dumb, you know, guys. We know how life insurance works and whose name is on the recipients line!

Kay
Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
One leak at a time...

Today was a great day….70+ degree temps & sunny day here in northern California, found many leaks today and started that process of sealing, and replacing seals, etc. Got my leak fixing kit from Inland last week. So, hopefully I can fix all leaks within the next 3 days, (wishfull thinking, I know!).

Late afternoon I got a call from my Sheet metal guy, he finished the Old Girls new wheel wells, (see thread under wheel wells to see photos). trex

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV cable.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	393.3 KB
ID:	114300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailerpool house.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	114301  

Name:	Looking crazy.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	114302  
Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Rex, I noticed your round exterior "patio" light has an amber lens cover. I've not seen that before. Where did you get it?
Old 11-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 20' International
Dougsale...I have only owned the "Old Girl" for about a month.... not sure when it was added or if it was built that way at the Calif. factory. She was painted in the 80's or 90's...I think. And found signs of body repair in the front right panel when I had the inside skin off...fix'en the floor. trex
Old 11-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Crabtree View Post
SLC = Shasta Lake City, CA.

Thanks Rex,
That's a beautiful area.

Ken