Old 05-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #15
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevell7 View Post
Could a person use an air compresser to pressurize to find leaks? How do you do that? Just shut everything tight inside and put the compressor inside or ??
Air compressor, I don't think so...you need volume, not pressure.

PM Soldiermedic for the straight scoop...

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I was fooled by my own assumptions. I assumed the trailer I bought was in good condition because it didn't have deferred maintenance. The trailer was actually in pretty good condition because it had been stored inside much of the year.

When I got my trailer it had a small spot of water damage in front of the entrance door. I assumed somebody had left the window open in the rain at some point, and I didn't discount for it when I bought it. When I got it home I found the top vent had a crack in the lid and I assumed that was the cause of the water damage.

I stored the trailer outside and when I finally got done "assuming" and got down to maintenance and leak detection, I had found 11 separate and unrelated leaks from the entry door to the front of the first window in front of the entry door. It took removal of the interior skin and sitting out in the trailer in a month of midnight thunderstorms on a farmer's milking stool with a poacher's light and a notepad to find them all. I could only see the leaks when it was dark outside. In daytime storms, I couldn't see the slow seeping type leaks like the missing rivet leaks.

The last and hardest to locate was a mid outside skin lap joint that looked fine from the outside. I used Vulkem 116 to seal inside and outside. I followed the advise of the experts and I replaced everything I could replace, and sealed everything I could seal. When I was finished I didn't have any leaks in addition to the step release slot. I mitigated that feature with aluminum screened belly pan drain holes.

In part I replaced all three roof vents with FanTastic power vents, replaced the air conditioner, removed the television antenna, sealed the top seams, replaced the sewer vent gaskets, sealed the awning rail, sealed the window and door frame to body joints, replaced all the window and door gaskets, found and fixed 5 missing rivets under the awning roller, resealed vista window glass to frame leak points, and sealed the top of the rub rail.

Every time it rains I check everything.

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
While an air compressor won't work. A leaf blower might work for leak testing. Of course you would have to make sure there is no way the pressurized air could exit in places like the refer vent or the plumbing vents. And don't forget the cooktop vent. Of course every hole in the floor where plumbing and electrical go thru would be another air leak.
I think it will take a lot of air.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Wise advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourcatos View Post
I gave up chasing leaks on my 73. Fix the big obvious ones and keep her out of the rain unless you are using the old girl. She has been around for over 38 years now, do not worry about a few tears from heaven. If she gets rained on while out camping, just park her in her cozy garage or covered patio and let her air out. My daddy always said if you want your toys to last you need to keep them out of the weather.
Good luck in your efforts however.
This is the smartest thing I think I've heard I have been "chasing leaks" for over two years, going crazy, and have yet to put my trailer back together. I'm now going to seal what I can, put her back together and enjoy what I have. My TT is outside, but I think I saw some plastic trailer covers that were reasonably priced (for my 23 footer). BTW, we won't do any long term camping, long weekends, maybe a week. This plan should work for us. Thanks for saving my sanity!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Sara,

A good "cover your Airstream" read.

Another....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Awe, Bob, do you have to kill my joy?
Thanks for the links....I will continue to read on...
Sara
Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up The point is......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasafari View Post
Awe, Bob, do you have to kill my joy?
Thanks for the links....I will continue to read on...
Sara
.....learn from others.

I covered our 63 Safari with a Camping World cover the first Winter we had it. Quite a few 'bucks wasted. Even without a shiny clearcoat the the scratches and freeze marks were a PITA to minimize, took a few years for the "patina" to return.
Moisture and dirt got under and when not flapping in the breeze it was frozen solid to the skin

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 03-16-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Centennial , Colorado
I recently had the floor under the bathroom replaced that had rotted at the C joint. Shawn that used to work at Windisch Airstream in Denver is now at Intermountain Coach in Colorado Springs. He replaced the shocks, packed the bearings, checked the brakes, replaced a wooden piece of the gaucho bed that had cracked and broken, replaced a toilet and seal and replaced the floor. He loosened the walls enough to get the fiberglass bathroom out and replaced the floor that way. He used marine grade plywood and sealed it. My 1968 Airstream Caravel is ready to go camping!!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:22 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by drevell7 View Post
I recently had the floor under the bathroom replaced that had rotted at the C joint. Shawn that used to work at Windisch Airstream in Denver is now at Intermountain Coach in Colorado Springs. He replaced the shocks, packed the bearings, checked the brakes, replaced a wooden piece of the gaucho bed that had cracked and broken, replaced a toilet and seal and replaced the floor. He loosened the walls enough to get the fiberglass bathroom out and replaced the floor that way. He used marine grade plywood and sealed it. My 1968 Airstream Caravel is ready to go camping!!
I have gutted my AS withe walls on. I've refinished all the wood,bought new appliances, st. We had a large part of rotten floor when I took everything out, and replaced it with new plywood. Thought the leak was from a window so we sealed that up tight. About 9 months later, the floor starts to slowly rot again. We took another look over and found 2 exterior rivet holes near the site of the leaks. Small enough to explain to slow leak, but enough to do major damage, again. We removed the interior panel an think we isolated those leaks to the rivet holes that were leaking into wall between the skin and the wall, soaking the fiberglass like a sponge. I've sealed the holes and am waiting to see what "springs up". Hopefully nothing, and I can on with this project. Wish I lived near someone like Shawn who could anticipate these problems better than I can
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
Had our first real soaker down pour rain since we got our 72 Overlander, After it stopped I went out to admire my sealing job on the windows and roof vents,. To my shock I saw on the floor in front where the inside walls meets the floor are 2 small damp spots..

The only thing on the trailer I have not sealed is the outside blue trim around the bottom of the shell,, Is there any way water could soak in behind the trim and should that be sealed also?

I also saw that I forgot to seal around the trailer plug in where the TV wire goes.. But the leaks are more to each side and not in the center where the plug is..

So where do I start looking if its not the blue trim.. >>>>????

Sodbust
I had a leak similar to the one you describe. I solved the leak by sealing the top seam of the lower aluminum rub rail with parbond. The blue trim you are speaking of , I assume is the plastic insert in the lower rubrail.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
What is parbond-I was going to use vulkem on the rub rail ?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Parbond....

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
I just ordered two tubes of vulkem. You say parbond over the vulkem? Do you have to order it? Thanks for all your help
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You use Trempro-635 or similar to make fillet beads like above the rub rail (large gaps). You use Parbond for sealing small gaps like around windows and lap seams and leaky rivets.

Perry