Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
shoulda listened the first time...I have a caulk problem

Okay, so here is the situation. We had a leak problem on the exterior right above the pinstripe. You all told me to seal it with Vulkem, but my husband went to Lowes and came home with "leak stopper". The leak stopper claims to be able to stop a leak on just about any surface...but they lied. So it has been four days since I put the leak stopper on the exterior where the pin stripe meets the skin, and I just went and did a water test with a hose. About five minutes after I sprayed it the caulk turned white again and could be scraped off with my fingernail. I do not think that it just hasn't dried all the way, but maybe that is all. It has been pretty cold for the south this week. I have a feeling that I am getting ready to get several "I told you so's" and I deserve every one! If you help me again, I promise to listen! Do I need to wet and scrape off the last caulking job and put the vulkem over it? Can I caulk over it? (I know that is probably a dumb idea) One more problem, vulkem is not sold at any of the Home Depots in Georgia or the ones across the river, so can I use Loctite PL premium a polyurethane Construction Adhevsive? Thank you for your patience with this Newbie!
Modern South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
just sent you a PM
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Caroline,

Is it a rivet line seam leak?

Narrow gap sealant is used for those.

I've used the Loctite PL on the black tank roof vent. Still intact 5yrs later.

Bob
Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Sealant

It is where the pinstripe covers the point where the bottom pan meets the side walls. The gap is between the pinstripe and the wall so it leaks inside. We also are leaking at the stove and fridge vents. Can I get the sealant for fine gaps at lowes or home depot and if I use the loctite does it dry black? I may need something stronger than the narrow gap stuff to fix the side leaks, but it obviously needs to dry clear...thanks for helping a newbie! The pics were great
Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Is this "pinstrip" in an aluminum extrusion at the bottom of the side skin?
If so you're run ito a common problem with rigs of this era. The banana wraps and side sheets that curve towards the belly pan are riveted over the top of the side sheets not under. Water can run from anywhere along the extrusion, into the overlapping panel and into the trailer.
Vulken or Paar Bond along the top edge of the molding will slow it down but may not stop the leak.
Best practice is to remove the extrusion, seal the overlap and reinstall the trim with a bead of Vulkem along the top edge.

Good Luck
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
You won't find 'vulkem' but will find Tremco/Trempro sealants at most big box stores. It comes in different colours and the one you want is the aluminum colour. Polyurethane sealants don't come in clear. If the hardware stores don't carry it, you can order it online from Airstream. You can also check places that supply glaziers, as the sealants are also used in windows and curtain walls.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Sunset Beach , North Carolina
Vulkem 116 sandstone

Found at Home Depot or Lowes (I forget) a few months back @ $4.89 ea. I have used it between the inside and outside skin, on the backside of rivets, and appears to be close in color to the aluminum, but then again I am kind of color blind. I actually like it better than 635, except where you want a really smooth bead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vulkem.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	180135  
Bauxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
For some reason I thought the 'vulkem' name was discontinued. I've always bought it with just the Tremco name on it.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
These folks have what you need. They also have the advantage of being a super bunch of people, well known for taking care of their customers. I've done business with them many times and am very happy with every transaction.

Vintage Trailer Supply - parts and supplies for vintage travel trailers and campers!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1968 22' Safari
Sacramento , California
RPM international Inc.

Tremco, Vulkem, Paraseal, Dymeric, Alumanation are all products of the same parent company (RPM International Inc.). They also make Rust-Oleum, DAP, Zinsser, Testors and many others.
altnbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I think the Vulkem name was bought by Tremco. Not always, but every once in a while Fastenal has the Vulkem 116 as a sub for Tremco 626 textured Polyurethane sealant. It is good stuff. I did find out that the texture in the Vulkem also serves as an unwanted abrasive if you don't completely remove it before polishing your trailer.
I do prefer the 3M 540 polyurethane sealant to all other types of polyurethane sealant I've used. As long as you are using a high quality polyurethane sealant, you'll be just fine.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Caroline,

I don't know if your are ready to go camping yet, but a group of us from here in GA will be at Chattahoochee Bend State Park 15-17MAR if you would like to join us. All who are attending would be happy to help answer questions. Also our Past President lives near you in Martinez.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Thanks a bunch to all who responded. A couple of things...clearly it is a pin strip not pinstripe...Y'all are just gonna have to hang in there with me! Switching gears, I am going to head out to Home Depot and Lowes this afternoon to see what kind of polyurethane sealant I can find and I will let you all know before I start on the airstream! I will look at taking the strip off and sealing it, but being that the gap is really just in two places, I don't know that it is totally necessary. To Craig and Carol, the offer sounds great...but there is no way we would be ready! Also, my favorite two bluegrass bands are playing in Savannah that Friday (Steep Canyon Rangers and Old Crow)! Please let me know about your next get together! We sure could use some advice from some pro's!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Caroline,

Point your web browser over to our unit website Top of Georgia Airstream Park In the bottom left is the schedule for our rallies this Summer. Please come up, I think you will enjoy it. The fewest rigs we had last summer was around 70. That means well over a hundred Airstreamers happy to help out.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Robert Cross, hi, and I'm not meaning to hijack this threa, because I can't stand it when peole do that, but this is in line with this thread.

When you said on rivet line seam leaks you should use a narrow gap sealant and you showed Acryl-R, are you referring to the seam line between the skin panels (which have the rivets)? I need to seal those areas on our Bubble to bring her home so we don't get our new floor wet, but I had planned to use Tempro 635, is that the wrong thing to use?

Thanks.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Deb,

Yes the Acryl-R is one of the sealants designed for that application, it's the only one I have experience with. Used it to seal all our windows and the awning mounting.
You need the Plews gun applicator...

Bob
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Robert, thank you for that information. I followed your link and now I know where to purchase both (and will)!

Thanks again.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Augusta , Georgia
Wow thanks!