Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
While I was testing trailers for leaks in Texas last weekend, none of the owners knew about the sewer vent gaskets and that they went bad. I suggested to all of them to have them replaced.

Steve

Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
This thread is perfect for what I am needing to do. I have two vents on top of my trailer, once next to the oblong looking vent for the refridgerator and one between that and the AC, they both look nearly identical and have the gaskets down inside that I want to replace.

I saw Carl ask what you used Bob to remove the existing sealer/goop with, is it the acrylclean in your picture? I need to remove this stuff first and can see the screws that need to be removed so I can get at the gaskets. My vent covers are made of a diecast metal but I am sure the process of removing and cleaning is the same?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I'm sold on this, but were can I get the gasket Andy is suggesting?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahgoldrup View Post
This thread is perfect for what I am needing to do. I have two vents on top of my trailer, once next to the oblong looking vent for the refridgerator and one between that and the AC, they both look nearly identical and have the gaskets down inside that I want to replace.

I saw Carl ask what you used Bob to remove the existing sealer/goop with, is it the acrylclean in your picture? I need to remove this stuff first and can see the screws that need to be removed so I can get at the gaskets. My vent covers are made of a diecast metal but I am sure the process of removing and cleaning is the same?
Yep, The acrylclean is what I used. Used a plastic scraper to remove the old goop and cut the new gasket from a truck inner tube. Will be up there again this Spring re-sealing the sky-light and both FFans. Still got some goopy factory foot prints to clean up too.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Ok, I'm sold on this, but were can I get the gasket Andy is suggesting?
We have them.

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/imag...entpipecvr.jpg

Andy
Old 03-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Is it necessary to climb onto the roof to replace the sewer vent gasket or can it be done while reaching from a ladder ????? If you must climb onto the roof what precautions must be taken to avoid damage ???? Plan on doing this job soon and of course will probably find other locations that need to be re-sealed or repaired.

Thanks for any advise
Roger Kriz
kriz@rci.rutgers.edu
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Is it necessary to climb onto the roof to replace the sewer vent gasket or can it be done while reaching from a ladder ????? If you must climb onto the roof what precautions must be taken to avoid damage ???? Plan on doing this job soon and of course will probably find other locations that need to be re-sealed or repaired.

Thanks for any advise
Roger Kriz
kriz@rci.rutgers.edu
The sewer vent pipe covers can be reached from a ladder.

Andy
Old 03-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Salt Lake City , Utah
Thanks Bob! I have my vent seals ordered and once I have them, will use acrylclean and a plastic scraper like you mentioned to get the goop off. What is the process on putting the new seals on? Do you put any sealent down first or just put the gasket down, vent cover on top, screw it down and then put sealent around the vent pipe cover? I just want to make sure I put it all back the right way so I don't have to re-do that job.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Bob! I have my vent seals ordered and once I have them, will use acrylclean and a plastic scraper like you mentioned to get the goop off. What is the process on putting the new seals on? Do you put any sealent down first or just put the gasket down, vent cover on top, screw it down and then put sealent around the vent pipe cover? I just want to make sure I put it all back the right way so I don't have to re-do that job.
We supply fiberglass screening material with our sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, at no charge.

The screen is installed over the pipe, then the gasket is slipped over the screening and the pipe. Vulkem sealer is then used to fill the void between the center hole of the gasket and the black pipe, thru the screening for a positive seal.

Andy
Old 03-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just the way I did it, other options may vary..
After some trial and error I found it easier to just run a good bead on bottom side of gasket, stick over the opening, another bead around center opening and outside edge and vent pipe.
The opening in the shadetree gasket I made fit very tight over the tube and was easy to seal.
Also on this style vent I plugged the access tube for the cap screw that holds the cover to the roof flange.

Tighten those new stainless screws your using carefully
On this style cover the factory saw fit to only install 6 of the 10 screws.

IMHO..might as well fill the empty holes.

Used a stainless screen from an old pasta strainer over the vent opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 023.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	77488   Click image for larger version

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 022.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	77489  

Name:	SOLAR PANELS; ROOF LEAK 020.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	77490  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We supply fiberglass screening material with our sewer vent pipe cover gaskets, at no charge.

The screen is installed over the pipe, then the gasket is slipped over the screening and the pipe. Vulkem sealer is then used to fill the void between the center hole of the gasket and the black pipe, thru the screening for a positive seal.

Andy
There's one for each tank right? Black, gray and the fresh water too? (Can you tell I don't live close to my trailer?)
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #26
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
If your 74 is like my 75 Trade Wind, you will have two vents. The Black and Grey tanks share one vent and there is another vent by the kitchen sink.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
There's one for each tank right? Black, gray and the fresh water too? (Can you tell I don't live close to my trailer?)
You could have 2 or 3, sewer vent pipe covers.

The water tank venting, is very different than the sewer vents.

The black and gray tanks are the only gasket concern.

Andy
Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
May be a dumb question....

Are the vent covers installed incorrectly in the first place?

The top of my plumbing vent cover says to vent the pipe 2" to 2-1/2" above the roof. If the pipe is that high, it will have a friction fit with the lower portion of the vent cover, just like a roof jack on a house, i.e. the pipe will stick up through the center hole tightly enough that a thin bead of caulk will seal the area. That would eliminate the need for a rubber gasket to seal against the outside of the pipe lower down. It would also eliminate the need for any drain holes to get water off the top of the gasket, like the old style vents had. Then the only other place to seal is around the outer perimeter of the vent cover base.

Of course, my vent pipe only sticks up 1-1/2", so, unless I extend my vent pipe, I have to have the inner gasket. But it just doesn't seem to be properly installed.

Am I in left field here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coverseal 003.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	77707   Click image for larger version

Name:	coverseal 014.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	77708