Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Long Valley , New Jersey
seams and window frame seal

I just bought a 78' Argsey 30, there are some soft wet spots under the curved sections of the front window and also under the night stand in the rear.(this is a rear twin center bath). The front leaks I suspect are coming in around the windows where they seal against the shell and possible at the seams in the end caps. What is the best way to reseal hose joints and what sealant should I be looking for ? I will at some point be repainting the outside.

The rear leak I think is occurring at the bumper to shell junction.Just had a really hard rain tonight but I don't see any signs of water dripping. Anyone have suggestions?
Thanks
grin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There are many places for an Airstream to leak. Typically you will find rot at the rear and where the walls meet the curved sections. The rear leak is caused by the storage compartment plate that goes under the rear of the trailer. This plate funnels water under the floor in the back and causes lots of structural damage. Look under the beds as well. There is a gap in an aluminum channel that acts like a gutter to funnel water to the corners. So a leak showing up at the corners can be coming from anywhere. Window frames can leak as well as any hole in the skin. Roof vents are common leak points, especially sewer vents. Awning brackets leak and tail lights leak. A lot of damage at the rear of the trailer is a bad thing because this is where the major connection between the shell and the frame are. Too much damage and you have rear end separation.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Long Valley , New Jersey
Thanks for the feedback. I see where the joint between the storage plate has been caulk several time and needs to be completely cleaned out and resealed. I have the rear twin model and there is rot under one of the beds, rear of the storage door and also in the back of the night stand. I'll be removing this weekend hopefully it won't be too extensive. In looking at the windows and seams it appears that there are small spaces where it appears the gaskets have started to brakedown that should be resealed any suggestions as to what products work best?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The trim around the bottom of the trailer above that plate needs to be removed to get to that caulk joint. You can't really caulk it from outside the trim. I would use Trempro-635. Removing the inner skins is not hard and it helps you find leaks. You can also get all that stinky punk stuff out of there and replace it with rigid foam. On the windows are you talking the gray gasket that seals the windows to the frame or the black rubber gasket they seals the frame to the trailer?

Perry
Old 07-25-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Long Valley , New Jersey
The black gaskets that seal the frame to the trailer. Any experience with Captain Tolly's creeping crack cure or sikaflex 221. I was doing some research online today and they both look like they may be good products?
Old 07-26-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Captain Trolly's is something you use on a leaking rivet. Parbond is one to be used on areas where there is not much gap. This would be window frames etc. SilkaFlex is similar to Trempro-635. 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive Black is what you want to gluing gaskets on with.

Perry
Old 08-04-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
I'm experiencing a leak which I suspect is coming from the top of my emergency window...is there anyone in the Denver area with some Parbond sealant? I'm currently camping at Cherry Creek State park and there's potential rain tomorrow...tried calling Windish and RV America and both they said they don't carry it. Or is there something else I might use that can be purchased at a Home Depot, etc?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Try Vintage trailer supply. Silver duct tape is good for temporary sealing but the adhesive is hard to get off.

Perry
Old 08-04-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Arlington , Virginia
Thank you for the information! I'm fortunate to have had a fellow Airstreamer nearby to offer to help and give me good advice (Thank you, blmitch5!).

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Wishing is offline   Reply With Quote