Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Anchorage , Alaska
Sealing the inside seams?

I am finishing up patching all of the holes in my skin and about to leak test everything. My question is there something I can spray on the inside of the skin on the seams? I was thinking of using automotive undercoating. there are a few brands that weather extremely well and would be thick enough not to run down the walls. I am really worried about leaks after I seal up the walls and I have bucked several patches and used vulkum but my OCD is getting to me.
thanks
mike
akmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
do you mean on the inside of the EXTERIOR skin or the inside of the inside skin? im assuming inside of the exterior skin?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
I used Seamermate amerimax.com (Home Dept.) Comes in a tube for a caulk gun.$4.99This is a non silicone seam sealer for aluminum gutters.I will probably seal the outside too after talking with Bob Thompson (check his thread on this)He applied this product in 2004 and very pleased with the results.It dries silver gray.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Anchorage , Alaska
Yes the inside of the exterior skin, I will look for it at home depot. I was thinking of a spray but that sounds good. I noticed that some of the older as have a black substance on the inside seams and I think a saw something about it being tar?
akmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
_

. , .
to OVER seal the inner side of the outer skin, patches, holes, fixtures and so on....

use sikaflex 221 and apply LIBERALLY.

or apply tempro/vulkem if u r into that old sealant, period correct stuff.

this is how they do it in j/c on the new units and major skin repairs on older units...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Uwe's comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmntman View Post
Yes the inside of the exterior skin, I will look for it at home depot. I was thinking of a spray but that sounds good. I noticed that some of the older as have a black substance on the inside seams and I think a saw something about it being tar?
Uwe Salwender told me at the Resto Rally to take asoft wire wheel on a drill and clean the seams so the new stuff will stick.
bwaysteve is offline   Reply With Quote