Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Sealing Skins

I'm on the Ipad, so my search function is kaput. If you know of any good threads with good advice for what to use when sealing exterior skins (from inside...interior skins are off), would greatly appreciate. Some mention gun applications...others, brush-ons.

Vulkem?

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways View Post
I'm on the Ipad, so my search function is kaput. If you know of any good threads with good advice for what to use when sealing exterior skins (from inside...interior skins are off), would greatly appreciate. Some mention gun applications...others, brush-ons.

Vulkem?

Thanks for the help!
This is a good read...http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...more-7626.html

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Thanks!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaways View Post

Vulkem?

Thanks for the help!
I use vulkem from the gun/tube then spread it around with a 1" paint brush or putty knife.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Fort Smith , Arkansas
I know AirStream uses and recommends Vulkem as a sealent. I have a 2008 Safari FB. We bought it new. To make a long story short our floor rotted out during the warrenty period. "NO sealent by rear bumber". AS fixed it, but I had to pull it to JC 800 miles from home. Ok on with the sealent issue. I have worked in aircraft fuel systems/tanks for almost 38 years. There are two primary sealents used in military aircraft fuel tanks. Semkit Pr-1826, and Pro-Seal 83430A. Trust me here, this sealent will bond to the skin of an Airstream just like an aircraft fuel tank. IF a wing can flex 25 feet (C-5) it will hold up to the road vibrations. Its not cheap, but if you want to fix your leaks for good look into it. A little foot note: the prep of the surface is very important for a good bond. You can buy Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) at any hardware store. Use it for a final cleaning. This sealent should be used where it will not been seen. It's a light gray when mixed properely. I belive if AS assembled the campers with this type of sealent to include a light coat on the o-rings on each rivet their leaks would be a thing of the past! P.S. The repair to our camper was great. The two guys (I don't remember their names) took the job to heart. I could tell they were upset about this quality control issue. Happy trails!
h70man is offline   Reply With Quote