Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Sealing Seams

I am not a restoration expert - not even close. I have had a continuing leak in the rear of my 1973 31' center bath Airstream. It has gotten to the point where I will have to replace plywood. I have read about seam sealing in this forum. What exactly do you mean by that? I don't think it means slathering sealant all over the aluminum joints.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
jerryc41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc41 View Post
I am not a restoration expert - not even close. I have had a continuing leak in the rear of my 1973 31' center bath Airstream. It has gotten to the point where I will have to replace plywood. I have read about seam sealing in this forum. What exactly do you mean by that? I don't think it means slathering sealant all over the aluminum joints.

Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
Generally, you would use aluminum colored Parrbond to run along all the seams on the exterior of the trailer. Any loose looking rivets should also get covered. If you still have your OEM Armstrong a/c, there is also the seam that holds the assembly to the roof. That, along with all the rivets or screws that hold it on should be sealed. If you have a replacement a/c, you should check and probably replace the gasket for the air conditioner.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Jerry your rear end leak is more than likely caused by the connection point between the shell and the rear bumper cover. This area has been a basic design flaw for years with A/S. Basically the bumper cover allows water to flow back against the shell where it migrates under the shell and collects in the belly pan. It it then absorbed by the fiberglass insulation and rots out the floor. Once you repair the floor throughly sealing this area with Vulkem sealer and then sealing up the top edge of the lower beltline trim and all rivet holes should stop this from happening again.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Thanks. I'll get right on it. We've had lots of rain, but the last couple of days have been dry and sunny. Tomorrow (Monday) might bring us rain, so I'll get onto that rear bumper today.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
If you're replacing the floor section in the rear the bumper storage area cover,the lower beltline trim, banana wraps, side wraps and belly pan need to come out. Reseal them all after the new floor section is installed.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
Sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Quote:
Everything is fun! It just depends how you look at it. In this case it might be on the lower end of the fun scale but on the bright side it will keep your rig on the road if you keep it fixed up.
Keep stream'n
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It's nearly as much fun as a root canal.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Shokan , New York
People keep saying that about a root canal, but I've had two of them, and it was no big deal - lots of novacaine. The most painful part was paying the bill. The dentist said I needed two root canals. He did one, and I paid him. Then he did the other, and he said the price had gone up - as if it wasn't high enough the first time.

As for the trailer, I'm betting the leak was coming from the rear bumper area because the caulking there is pretty bad.