Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to lwebb Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb
sealing leaks from inside

Finally starting my redo of the first of my Wally Byam Holidays. It leaks. No surprise there. The roof was covered with roofing tar which I have removed with much elbow grease and gallons of paint remover.

I am taking out the interior birch paneling and replacing it after fixing frame, insulation, etc.

My question: What is the best way to seal the seams from the inside? The outside looks tight BUT obviously has some holes. Since I will have access to the entire inside surface, it seems like there should be a way to cover all the seams. I will easily be able to see where it's leaking.
lwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I would think with the same Vulkem/Sikaflex/Parbond as the exterior...but you would have to be as neat about it!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Be certain to run masking tape on both sides of the exterior seam before you start forcing parbond through from the inside. Otherwise, what a mess!

I could not seal my seams from the inside because there is too much overlap in the segment joints. Some of the seams had 2" - 3" overlap on the inside. With that much overlap, trying to force sealant from the inside was impossible. On your Holiday this shouldn't happen; aren't most of the seams right angle joints?

I found a neat way to check for location of leaks by taping the joints with duct tape, then pressurizing the joint with compressed air. The leaks were easy to locate on the outside with a spray bottle of soapy water. You can also pressurize the entire trailer with a furnace blower, if you don't have any large unsealable openings.

Looking forward to pictures!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
OK, has anybody ever heard of this stuff? Externabond sealing tape?
•The only MicroSealant in a tape form available. • Stop virtually any leak or water proof any surface in minutes.• Featured in numerous professional trade magazines and consumer magazines. • Restore: Commercial roofs, RV roofs, Mobile home roofs, gutters; Repair leaks and holes in: All roofs - commercial or residential; all RV, mobile home, trailer roofs; all metal roofs; holding tanks; awnings; gutters; skylights; flashings; boats; pool and pond liners; tears in convertible roofs, tarps and tents; cracks in basement walls; boat, car, pool, and grill covers, etc.! • Use to - Seal gaps, corrosion-proof pipes and steel, create pest barriers. •Fuses to - Rubber, TPO, Hypalon, PVC, Polyethelene, metal, aluminum, iron, copper, concrete, masonry, wood, osb board, styrofoam, almost anything you can think of. •Stays flexible to - 70°, install to -20°.•5 year shelf life.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebb
OK, has anybody ever heard of this stuff? Externabond sealing tape?
•The only MicroSealant in a tape form available. • Stop virtually any leak or water proof any surface in minutes.• Featured in numerous professional trade magazines and consumer magazines. • Restore: Commercial roofs, RV roofs, Mobile home roofs, gutters; Repair leaks and holes in: All roofs - commercial or residential; all RV, mobile home, trailer roofs; all metal roofs; holding tanks; awnings; gutters; skylights; flashings; boats; pool and pond liners; tears in convertible roofs, tarps and tents; cracks in basement walls; boat, car, pool, and grill covers, etc.! • Use to - Seal gaps, corrosion-proof pipes and steel, create pest barriers. •Fuses to - Rubber, TPO, Hypalon, PVC, Polyethelene, metal, aluminum, iron, copper, concrete, masonry, wood, osb board, styrofoam, almost anything you can think of. •Stays flexible to - 70°, install to -20°.•5 year shelf life.
......AND........it cleans your black tank, removes ticks and fleas from your pets .......AND........ makes a great toothpaste too!!! REALLY?

If you order RIGHT NOW......you'll get 3 rolls Externabond for 3 easy payments of just $19.95

SOUNDS LIKE AN OLD SKIT FROM SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE?!?!?!?!?!?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Sorry, I just couldn't resist! I'll go back to that furnace overhaul now!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I was able to seal up various places from the inside that I found leaking by applying Vulkem. In some places I ran a bead along a seam edge. In other places I encapsulated the ends of rivits. Its not particularly pretty but it does seem to work fine. I would guess that it would make it a bit harder to remove rivits or panels from the outside if I ever need to, though. By the way, I used the variety of Vulkem that is readily available at Lowes or Home Dept (type 116 I believe it is). This type is a bit grainy looking but from what I understand is otherwise the same as the other types more typically used on the outside where the grainy texture might not be so nice. My AS has had the inner skins off for a while and the leaks are still gone even with all the rain that we have had this particular winter in Portland, Oregon. The Vulkem really sticks!

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:55 AM   #8

1979 30' Argosy
PERTH , Ontario
Re; ETERNABOND

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I embarked on renovation (not restoration) of a '79 Argosy 30' several weeks ago. I heard of Eternabond last year from a friend who used it to repair a roof leak. I have used it as a gasket around vents and to cover damaged seams around the waistline. On the Argosy the white tape is fairly unobtrusive in those places. I noticed a paintable version on the store shelf. The stuff really sticks and I think may be tough to remove. The short term prformance lives up to the advertising claims but obviously I cannot comment on the longevity.
http://www.roofersworld.com/site/ete...esidential.htm
Good luck
Garwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #9
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
Hey All, Thanks for all the input. I too am trying to do a restoration on the 53 Holiday not renovation. With the exception of grounded wiring and other unnoticeable stuff like that. I bought the Eternabond and it looks like it is going to do a beautiful job. I also, at Malcolm's suggestion covered all the internal rivets with vulkem that I couldn't Eternabond. Eternabond is $25 for 50 feet of the unpaintable 2 inch wide. I bought 3 rolls and used every bit. If you go this rout, call the company and order it that way. The guy was really nice and I got it in less than a week. His web site charges something like $11 bucks shipping and handling per roll if you order it that way. he apologized and said that for some reason the site did that automatically. He charged me around $8 for all three.

It looks like good stuff and sticks amazingly well.
thanks for all the advice.
Lanny
Old 05-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Full-Timers , '71 Streamline Countess & A Standard Poodle
Leaky Window & Damage to Birch Plywood

I was checking out Vintagetrailersupply.com and they recommend a Vulkem product called TremPro 635 for repairs. They also sell a caulking syringe with this product. So, question...do I need to totally remove the original caulk from the window and replace it with TremPro or can I simply inject the sealant into the gaps and holes in the existing caulk?

This window has leaked since before I purchased the trailer but as I had it in a very dry climate I didn't worry much about the repair. However, the Birch plywood beneath the window is soft, splintered and stained, (carefully hidden by previous owner). Do I need to tear this out and explore further damage beneath?
TheCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

I'm also stymied by a roof leak that has no obvious visible explanation. The furnace fan pressurization technique sounds like the cat's meow. Perhaps I can rent a ventilation fan from the tool rental people, that comes with several yards of 12" diameter flexible duct. Feed the air in through a window, sealed with lots of duct tape? Would my shop vac have enough cubic feet per minute? Pressurizing the RV is 'way smarter than playing with a hose & water.
Karl Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
There have been a few people on the forum over the years that have done a roll-your-own air pressure leak test. One I remember was trailer where an outside storage compartment opened into the area under the bed, and the bed could be lifted up. So he cut a piece of plywood in the shape of the compartment door, with a hole the size of his powerful leaf blower. As I recall, it worked for him.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote