Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Sealing between the shell and the belly wrap

Posted this question elsewhere in the forum, before I found this section dedicated exclusively to sealing and caulks. Please forgive the double post.

I have done a shell off restoration of a 1963 Bambi. As part of the refurbishment of the frame/floor, I have replaced the belly wrap.

I am ready to set the shell back on the new frame/floor/belly wrap. Before I rerivet the skin, I want to reseal. I thought I researched the sealant, and got some TemPro 635 from Tremco. However as I look at the old belly material and the old U channel. It looks like the original manufacturing technic was to spray a black tar like material using a process similar to applying rino-lining. And the caulk was used to seal hatches and openings in the shell rather than sealing between the shell and belly wrap.

What is the material closest to the original sprayed in "black tar"?
Others that have done a shell-off, have you resealed with caulk or with a sprayed in coating?
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would stick with the caulk. I am not sure how much different your trailer is from my 81 model but I sealed the seam under the trim and then put a bead of Trempro over the top edge of the trim.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
It's just that the fellows that built this trailer the first time, are a lot smarter than me. With the only "sealing" up at the floor level, the belly wrap and the frame are all open to the air. Any water that gets in, runs out and air circulates under the floor. They certainly could have sealed it if they wanted to.

If I jack the shell up 1/2" put a bead of caulk around the outside, let the shel down, and smear the bead between the skin and wrap. Then if I spray, a sealant coating on the "C" chanel/skin inside at the floor level. I will have a double seal, but also the possibility, that the lower caulk could trap water inside the belly wrap.

I figure they could have done it that way if they wanted to in the first place.
Aktundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Typically the caulk is on the top of the trim only and the bottom is open so water can get out.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Yeah, I had leaks trapped and dumping out at a different location. Had to pull off the inside caulking to find it. What a nightmare.
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote