Old 07-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Easley , South Carolina
Smile Sealing around the glass

I've searched all the threads and I didn't find what I was looking for. And it would be hard for me to believe that someone has not run into this problem. I'm wanting to replace all the window glass gaskets on my 75 AS 31'. I'm not talking about the black rubber seal that is around the outside of the window frame, I've already replaced that. This is the gray gasket or seal that goes between the window glass and the window frame. I inquired at InlandRV and they said it was not available. But, I think someone out there has a source and has solved this problem. I know it involves splitting the window frame, I can do that. I would sure appreciate any direction someone could provide. Thanks

Member #9091

The difference between genious and stupidity is that genious has it's limits: Einstien
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I've searched all the threads and I didn't find what I was looking for. And it would be hard for me to believe that someone has not run into this problem. I'm wanting to replace all the window glass gaskets on my 75 AS 31'. I'm not talking about the black rubber seal that is around the outside of the window frame, I've already replaced that. This is the gray gasket or seal that goes between the window glass and the window frame. I inquired at InlandRV and they said it was not available. But, I think someone out there has a source and has solved this problem. I know it involves splitting the window frame, I can do that. I would sure appreciate any direction someone could provide. Thanks
That gasket is NOT available from Airstream.

Your also likely to NOT get the two halves of the window sash back together, because of the internal corrosion of the steel joiner plate, that you cannot see. You may also have to use a ratchet puller to get the frame apart.

Most owners, clean up the gasket area, and install a nice bead of Vulkem or Sikoflex.

Saves a lot of time, and many many headaches.

Andy

Then, the remounting of the hinge becomes an issue.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
If we are speaking about the glass bedding & weather seal on the exterior glass to metal seam I did an end run (for now) around replacing it using Alcoa Gutter Seal - used a 3/4" diameter stainless steel wire wheel in a Dremel rotary tool to do a low RPM burnish of the remaining gasket, glass & aluminum frame edges...

So, on a cool day and out of direct sun get your reading glasses on and paint a fine bead of the thin & runny sealer to bridge the gasket area. One has to really obsess to get the Alcoa product to be polite and do as you want it to, there is no touch up until it has fully dried and its got a really annoying habit of bubbling from its own thinner boiling off if any air void is left beneath it.

Anyhow - where the front square window gasket had shrunk and torn or had trapped moisture freeze and heave at a corner I simply painted it over with the Gutter Seal. The double panes still have discolored batting - bedding visible but ALL the glass sheds water now. I also used the wire-wheel trick on every metal-to-metal seam for window frames, roof skins, lights, etc...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
John,

We've used vulkum to reseal both wing windows on the front and two vista views on the top of the trailer. Seems to work very well. One trick to getting a good looking bead is to mask off the area on both the glass and frame with masking tape. Hardest part is getting the old pieces of gasket out of the way so the vulkum can make a good seal.

Chris
Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I've searched all the threads and I didn't find what I was looking for.
And it would be hard for me to believe that someone has not run into this problem...
yeah the issue has been posted about a bunch...

sometimes it is buried in resto' threads...

and the issues/bits are different for 50s vs 70s units...

terminology gets creative in describing the issue and parts too...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...9-a-62437.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ndow-8733.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ing-40110.html

not directly applicable to your 70s trailer, but a VERY good diy here...

http://www.vintageairstream.com/floy...n/windows.html

and a lotta products that ALMOST might work...

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...asket_s/26.htm

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:27 PM   #6
P&A
1 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Removing the old gasket

Hi there,

Just about to tackle this project so perfect timing!

Chris mentioned that the hardest part is removing the old gasket so you can make a nice Vulkum seal...what is the best way to do this?
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&A View Post
Hi there,

Just about to tackle this project so perfect timing!

Chris mentioned that the hardest part is removing the old gasket so you can make a nice Vulkum seal...what is the best way to do this?
Use a razor blade, but carefully.

Andy
Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I used a utility knife to remove the old gaskets.

Chris