Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #99
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Has anyone had any experience removing these sealants? What are the best methods for removing each of them?

Old 04-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #100
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
Has anyone had any experience removing these sealants? What are the best methods for removing each of them?
DON'T apply SikaFlex 221 to anything that you may eventually want to remove, without a replacement going in it's place. It is extremely tenacious and there is no known solvent.. mechanical removal is the only process that works.......and it ain't easy!!!!!

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:07 PM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
Most professional caulking companies I have dealt with use kerosene to cut/trowel poly-based sealants while wet. I use alcohol to cut/trowel silicone sealants while wet. Most of these sealants are solvent-immune once cured.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:10 PM   #102
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
Most professional caulking companies I have dealt with use kerosene to cut/trowel poly-based sealants while wet. I use alcohol to cut/trowel silicone sealants while wet. Most of these sealants are solvent-immune once cured.
Just a quick note......NEVER use alcohol as a cleaning/prep agent if you are intending to use SikaFlex polyurethane, as it inhibits it's adhesive properties (per Sika Corp.)
Old 04-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Just a quick note......NEVER use alcohol as a cleaning/prep agent if you are intending to use SikaFlex polyurethane, as it inhibits it's adhesive properties (per Sika Corp.)
Only alcohol w/ silicone...kerosene w/ poly. Not as prep agents but to trowel/cut (i.e. clean up beads). Silicone has limited uses on AS trailers to begin with. I would only use silicone for glass (windows) and a few interior applications.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM   #104
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
I just use a rubber-gloved finger for smoothing. No solvents ever.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 04-16-2015, 01:25 AM   #105
GlamperGirl

1965 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , 98133
I love Sikaflex
Old 04-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I'm curious. Why would using alcohol to clean the seam before caulking be bad? Seems it would evaporate completely and not affect the later application of the caulk.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #107
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Alcohol must have some residual that remains on the substrate which then interferes with the bonding process of the polyurethane.

If the tech department of the manufacturer of SikaFlex says not to use it.........I DON'T!!

I use cases of the stuff and have never had issues while following the company's application guidelines.

If you are still unsatisfied with this answer, I would suggest a call to the chemists at Sika Corp. for their reasoning.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #108
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I used Alcohol in a bunch of places before I saw the warning hear, as I might of stated earlier in this thread. For the most part, all my Silkaflex is still solid. And had no issues to my knowledge bonding. We'll see how it holds up, as only time will tell.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It's possible that someone used rubbing alcohol instead of straight isopropyl alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has some oil in it and will leave residue for sure.

Best to not use alcohol at all to avoid any chance of an issue. I likely to assume Sikaflex manufacturer knows what they are talking about, and I DO know Lew does...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:36 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I could see the issue with rubbing/isopropyl... what about methanol?
Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 PM   #111
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Listen............

Some of you can of course, do as you like with your trailers. I use Sika products by the case in professional applications on a daily basis and NOT as a hobbyist or occasional user, so when the manufacturer says NO ALCOHOL...........I assume they have done the research to arrive at their conclusions and they mean NO ALCOHOL......... whether methanol, isopropyl or rubbing. There are no exceptions listed!!!!! Is this concept that difficult to grasp and understand?????????

If your application of said product fails.....it's what you did and you take the time to rectify your error. If mine fails on YOUR trailer.........it not only reflects on me, but also costs me to remove and replace the product.

I DON'T SECOND GUESS THE PRODUCT DIRECTIVES

And BTW, I'm done with my contributions to this thread!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #112
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
lewster thank you for your post. I am new to airstream and read these posts to learn more about maintaining my 2015 Sport. I for one would not disagree having your credentials you should know. When I see your post I always read it carefully. Thank you for contributing.

Ron
16' Sport 2015
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums