Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Yes, the lack of colour choice pretty much rules this stuff out. Some of the other 3M polyurethane products do come in gray.

I like Parbond myself, but have no personal data yet on UV breakdown. One thing I like about it, opened tubes remain usable for many months (perhaps years?), while opened caulking tubes of other items (Sikaflex, Adseal) have a very short storage life, even when carefully sealed.
Bob,

After using a tube of SikaFlex, I place a screw or nail in the tube opening and then freeze it. Lasts quite a bit longer that way.......just defrost and use!

I have also been using it for a bunch of years and it seems to hold up to UV very well on SOB roofing. I haven't had a call back on seam sealing where SikaFlex was used in about 8 years.

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Thanks for the tip, Lew. I've frozen paint rollers, hadn't thought of freezing opened sealant. Will give it a try!

TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I'll just throw this in, but I do not expect anyone else will use it due to cost. As many of you may or may not know is, I've stated many times that my Airstream DOES NOT LEAK this is do to the sealant I'm using and how I am using it
I'm using a two part polymer aircraft fuel tank sealant called PRC 1440 B, 1/2 or 2. It's and excellent sealant with superior UV resistance and adhesive qualities. It also has a shelf life. One of the perks I have at work is I can have it after the shelf life has expired as it is no longer legal to use on the aircraft, and we have to pay a hazmat disposal few to get rid of it. Everybody wins.

Now here's the hard part, I've opened up every seam on the trailer, cleaned, injected sealant and riveted it back together. I have also removed every window frame, removed the foam gasket and reinstalled wet using the PRC. I still have the awning rail to go but it will only take a couple of hours to do
While I was at it I installed sealing dome style nut plates on every penetration of the shell that a screw will attach a fixture. I also reduced the rivet spacing on the skin attachments to approximately one inch.
As a redundancy after I have finished with the task that I'm using the sealant for, I thin the rest to a paint like viscosity and then paint over the bucktails.

I'm really mystified as to way Airstream does not Fay surface seal as they are assembling the trailers on the line. The cost would be minor compared to the cost of doing the work again on the warranty line along with the dissatisfied customers.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:06 PM   #60
GlamperGirl

1965 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , 98133
I'm going to look for the PRC since I am at this perfect stage
Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
It is extremely expensive and you need a special sealant gun along with a special mixer to use. If I didn't have access I would use one of polyurethanes.

Believe it or not I obtained my sealant gun an mixer from the Boeing surplus store many years ago when we did a project out of Paine Field.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #62
Avion Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I would suggest that EternaBond Alumibond be added to the list of products to use on the roof to eliminate leaks. Great product to use on roof seams, around vents and stacks, etc.

EternaBond AlumiBond
Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
-added EternaBond AlumiBond tape to roof sealants

For wheel wells/underbody:

Vulkem 116
Trempro 635 Grey
Sikaflex 221 Black (use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant Grey

Roof:

Sikaflex 221 White (for roof seams, seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Sikaflex 715 (around fans, vents, skylights ... self-levelling)
Adseal Premium Quality Sealant White
Dicor self-levelling sealant
EternaBond® AlumiBond (alum. backed sealing tape, 2", 3", 4", and 6" wide)

Windows/Trim/Rubrail/Exterior Lights:

Sikaflex 221 Grey (seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Parbond Grey or Clear (small hand tubes, prep and clean-up use cosmoline remover)
Trempro 635 Grey
Loctite® PL® S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant
Lexel™ Clear

Small seams (between aluminum panels):

Acryl-R (available in cans from Airstream store. Use applicator or disposable syringes to apply)

Rivet sealer:

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure
Old 01-05-2015, 12:29 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
I see you are a "Rivit Master." What feats do you have to do to earn that? How are the different levels determined? Sorry to bother you.
Bill
Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
The avatar 'titles' simply reflect the number of posts you've made on the forum.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:04 PM   #66
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
The avatar 'titles' simply reflect the number of posts you've made on the forum.
WHAT??? They made me take a written test and then perform a comprehensive practical exam, AFTER 80 hours of OJT!

-Red, feeling cheated...
Old 01-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
That written exam was a toughie, wasn't it?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #68
King of the Zebra Speedo

1974 31' Sovereign
Obrien , Florida
Barely squeaked out the 70% minimum I needed.

-Red, Mr Skin of His Teeth...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
I would suggest that EternaBond Alumibond be added to the list of products to use on the roof to eliminate leaks. Great product to use on roof seams, around vents and stacks, etc.

EternaBond AlumiBond
Just a note on my experience with Eternabond sealant tapes.

They seem to apply well, are super sticky at first and seem to be bullet-proof after application. But having had reports of continual leaking on SOB roofing a year or 2 down the road, the situations have ALWAYS led to the Eternabond tapes' adhesive failing!

When I started as an RV tech, I used to use the stuff by the case all the time, but after seeing the failures and having to deal with the massive cleanup of the Eternabond adhesives, I discontinues using them totally.

My go to adhesive sealants are from Sika and include SikaFlex 221 in the many colors available and the 715 for self leveling use (as mentioned on the list). I have recently started testing and using a similar high solids, self-leveling adhesive/sealant from a US company called Alpha Sealants. This is not presently available to the general public, and takes 3-5 days to fully cure, but it IS available in black, white, grey and off-white. Very similar to SikaFlex 751 but with more body.

I've shot a couple of roofs with the Alpha sealants and will wait another couple of weeks to do a final inspection, but I will never use Eternabond again!!

In fact, I have several rolls available for postage!!!!! PM me for details.

As always....YMMV!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
What temperature ranges?

What temperature ranges do these various products work at? I don't have any immediate urge to go out an seal something, but if I did, what works in the winter? It was 4 degrees F this morning at 9:00 (and 56 two hours later...).