Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2002, 07:35 AM   #1
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
sealant

I've seen mentioned a sealant called "alcoa gutter seal", but I can't seem to find much reference to it on the net, other than airstream sites. do a google search for "alcoa gutter seal", and the only sites returned are a/s lists. can't find any reference to any sort of sealant on alcoa's web site...where can you get this stuff? would anything that is labelled for use on "gutters" be the same thing? they mentioned that this is a flowing, liquid type stuff that wicks into small seams...instead of using vulkem.

I know Andy likes "par bond"...(don't find much reference to that on the net, either), but I can't find it around here...I hate the idea of paying for shipping of a 5 dollar item.

anyway, what is this stuff? is there another name for it? a functional equivalent that I can get at my local hardware store? How do I know its appropriate for sealing small seams/gaps on my trailer?
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 07:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Chuck,
I think Cat posted some info on Alcoa gutter seal and I have heard of some members using it on this forum. I was at an RV place last Fri. and saw my first tube of Parbond for $5. It was in clear color. Does Parbond come in different colors like alum. or gray or is clear the one we should use for the panel sealant on top?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:22 AM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
the par-bond does come in gray and white, too. I wound up going to the only RV place in the area, and while they didn't carry it, they did order me a couple of tubes, so I'm just going to use that. I didn't get to the point of being ready to actually apply any new caulk over the weekend, anyway. Spent the whole time trying to remove the old stuff that was there...what a mess! some PO had just piled layers and layers of gunk around all the vents. Some of it was silicone, so 80% of it just peeled right off Its the last 20% that is taking forever to clean up. I just hate the idea of "mickey-mousing" it. Those joints will need a good sized bead of vulkem, which I was able to find...but having read that it is hard to use on smaller seams, and I do have a few of those to do as well, I needed to find something appropriate for those, too.

I'm just wondering if the "alcoa" has a different name, as there are no references to it on the internet that I can find...other than AS support sites. I doubt they made something that was specifically for AS use, and named it "gutter seal".
Old 11-05-2002, 12:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've been looking for this stuff for several years now. I called Alcoa and they can give you a list of dealers. I called the one that was fairly close to me and I would have had to buy a case for $100. If I remember correctly the reason you cannot get it mail order is because it is consider hazardous material and cannot be mailed very easy.

So I hear about Par-bond and have yet to find a source for that either.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
don't know if this is helpful to you, but I used Dupont Aluminum selant bought at HD. Looks great - metallic and shiny on the seams I used it on, and it was an easier application than Vulkum.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:30 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Alansd, does that stuff "wick" into the small seams like par-bond allegedly does? (around marker lights, tail light housing, belt-line trim, etc).
Old 11-06-2002, 08:41 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

I used Alcoa Gutter Seal on my 71 Safari. It comes in small tubes and goes on pretty easily with a little practice. Call 1.800.621.7466 and they will give you the name and number of a distributor in your area. I paid $3.85 per tube.
Jerry Sulkin is offline   Reply With Quote