Old 03-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Screen on Sewer Vent 73 Tradewind

The constructor is replacing the two sewer vent gaskets and screens. Does the screen go between the aluminium roof panel and gasket or the gasket and the vent. Seems either way the seal would be tighter without the screen.

Does the screen really keep out bugs and vermin? Seems if a squirell or (ugg a rat) really wanted in the sewer they could chew through the screen.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
constructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Aage says, once you have everything cleared out, the old screen, the aluminum cap, the old Vulkem, and such (dead birds & bugz), the first thing that goes on is the new screen, right over the pipe.

Then the rubber gasket, then the Vulkem, then the chrome cap.

Did I say clean the surface of the roof before the replacement part? Well, I shoulda. Scrape with an old credit card, or plastic scraper.

Oh, and yes, it keeps lots of stuff out, but you're right, if some dumb skwirl wants into the vent (um, EW?!) it could get through the screen.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ann I don't know if this was the original way because when I did mine there was no old screen left. What I did was to cut the screen down and cut slits in the corners to allow them to overlap and fit the screen to the inside of the aluminium cap. I used vulkem to secure the screen to the cap. When installed it formed a litttle dome rising slightly above the top of the cap. The vulkem sealed the screen tightly to the cap. basically the screen is imbeded into the vulkem. I can get you pics if you want as I have one removed right now for polishing.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ann here are the pics of the vent lid and my method of installing the screen. My thinking was to keep all the debris out of the lid. When I pulled mine there was quire a bit of debris from trees (leaves and pine needles). This I'm sure was contributing to trapping water in there and causing a leak as well as corroding the shell. BTW when I installed the rubber gasket I put a bead of vulkem under in on the shell and sealed the opening around the pipe with vulkem once the gasket was installed. Vulkem again over the gasket and then the lid was installed with stainless screws which were sealed with vulkem from inside. Then the entire lid edge and screws were covered with DICOR LAP SEALANT. I'm pretty sure it won't leak now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewr Vent Pipe Lid 001.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	124962   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewr Vent Pipe Lid 002.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	124963  

Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
73 Trade Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Aage says, once you have everything cleared out, the old screen, the aluminum cap, the old Vulkem, and such (dead birds & bugz), the first thing that goes on is the new screen, right over the pipe.

Then the rubber gasket, then the Vulkem, then the chrome cap.

Did I say clean the surface of the roof before the replacement part? Well, I shoulda. Scrape with an old credit card, or plastic scraper.

Oh, and yes, it keeps lots of stuff out, but you're right, if some dumb skwirl wants into the vent (um, EW?!) it could get through the screen.
It is so great to have so much friendly help. If all of life could be so kind.

CLEAN WITH A CAPITAL C is a definate on just about everything isn't it. The Dang Pollen is off the dial and I have started the polishing process (with help from one of the constructor's guys) and we are having to wash Haily each time before working. Oh to have a covered work area.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1960 28' Ambassador
New Smyrna Beach

Chris, I am starting to feel like a broken record thanking you. Any winter you want to spend some time in New Smyrna Beach we have a spot for you. The constructor is putting in a sewer hookup so when we have extra guests. We are a block from the Beach and NSB is a very nice beach town.

Check us out www.newsmyrnavacationcondos.com
Old 03-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Ann just save them all up for when I do get down there. I may just do that if I ever get done with my resto. My parents used to go to Panama City Beach on the gulf coast but they said it was a little cold there in the winter. I'm no fan of winter or cold ( I don't make a very good CDN) so I will be looking for somewhere warm.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I looked up the photos when I did mine, and these might add a bit to what Chris showed you. I took mine apart and re-did as they were originally.

Image 1 shows how the rubber gasket looked when I took them apart. Notice the lovely tinge of green?

In 2, a lovely shot of fresh Vulkem, which I might have used too much of.

Image 3 shows you the screen covering the top of the pipe coming up.

And of course 4 shows the finished vent. Lots of Vulkem, under the edges of the rubber and around the seam.

Good luck! Not a hard job, just a pleasant afternoon's work, and of course, put a pad between your ladder and the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reno vents 1.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	125011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reno vents 2.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	125012  

Name:	Reno vents 3.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	125013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reno vents 4.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	125014  

Old 03-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Ours was replaced the way it came off. Thin bead of vulkem under the gasket edge and around the gasket opening/pipe. A round section of 1/8 mesh galvanized screen place so inside the cover so it slightly buldged up into the cover opening. Thin bead of vulkem between the bottom of the housing and gasket top. Par bond on the screw threads and then a thin line around the housing once it's placed. The bottom of the housing has a drain hole so watch that you don't clog that with sealant...
Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I looked up the photos when I did mine, and these might add a bit to what Chris showed you. I took mine apart and re-did as they were originally.

Image 1 shows how the rubber gasket looked when I took them apart. Notice the lovely tinge of green?

In 2, a lovely shot of fresh Vulkem, which I might have used too much of.

Image 3 shows you the screen covering the top of the pipe coming up.

And of course 4 shows the finished vent. Lots of Vulkem, under the edges of the rubber and around the seam.

Good luck! Not a hard job, just a pleasant afternoon's work, and of course, put a pad between your ladder and the roof.
Aage.

That sewer vent pipe cover is supposed to have 2 drain holes in it, just above where the rubber gasket is on the inside, on the bottom side.

Andy