Old 02-09-2003, 07:28 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Richardson , Texas
Angry Safari roof still leaking

Still trying to find that stubborn leak. Someone posted a web site that had a picture of an airstream shell at the factory. Are all of the shells made basically the same? This one looks like it has a rib or brace running across where the back cap is riveted on. If they are all like this, it seems like the only places water could come in and run in at the top of the window on the inside of the 2 skins would be at this top seam. Anything farther to the front could not get past this spar or rib to run to the rear. The other would have to be the seal around the window but I can see it running from between the 2 interior skins and not from the window gasket. Any ideal? See attached pic. Thanks
Attached Images

'99 25' Safari
2 Honda 2000i generators
'08 Chevy Duramax
'01 Yamaha Raptor ATV
'07 Yamaha Rhino ATV
2 burgler alarms: Rotweiller and Shepherd
"If you step down to get in, you have to step up to get out"
Raptorrider2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Cool Same gig

Are all of the shells made basically the same? This one looks like it has a rib or brace running across where the back
In the first stage, all A/S are assemble exactlly alike..meaning, they come together on a common gig setup for the braces to be joined together. Even the end caps are all alike at one time. Then the outer skin is attached. I've got two factory tour worth of pictures that, I could post here but, space left in my photo account. I do have them posted on my own website. email me and, I'll send you the URL.(if you want to look at them.)
As for your water problem/s...Be more specific, other than just, "still having water leaks"..Be warned, leaks can and, do come in from just about anywhere. And, can be a bear to find~!~
I'm curious tho..Given that your A/S is nearly new..This shouldn't be happing this quickly..
Your windows are (from what I can see) the windows that A/S calls the EURO style? Meaning black trim on the outside.
I've heard that these windows are glued in, rather than riveted in like the Classic or older A/S units..Have you checked the sealing on all your windows completely..again? Not just the top but all the way around. Many of us have found out that, if anything, A/S is less then perfect when it comes to cutting the holes for the windows fitting. They've been known to leave very..very little skin surface on the side of the window open'ing, hence...the possible cause of leaks in those areas.
Where does it show up and, could you show pictures, if possible?
Wish you luck..
Attached Images

WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
My motorhome has ribs which run arond the front and bottom edges of the cap. Both were sealed to the body but it was not so perfect a job that water could not pass. Rivets on the edges of the cap, segments and marker lights will leak. There are areas where the roof, sides and cap meet where 3 panels are stacked.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Leaks are sometimes hard to find because they do not enter the inside at the same place it enters the outside. I chased a leak for several years and finally found it in to be the rubber gasket on the sewer vent pipes. There is a vent for the grey tank and one for the black tank and both mine were bad. The fix is easy and parts are available or you can make your own. The only way to check it is to remove the cast aluminum vent cover. It has 4 screws, a screen and a rubber gasket. The gasket is the culprit and usually deteriorates in a few years if exposed to a lot of sun, etc. Good luck!
James Schmidt
29 ft Excello 1000
97 Expedition/Hensley Hitch/
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
hunting leaks

>I chased a leak for several years and finally found it in to be the >rubber gasket on the sewer vent pipes.

Ah, yes, the honeymoon is over with my newly acquired 68 Overlander---it's flooding down in Texas (my rain gauge had 4 inches from today)---
and inside the airstream... a big puddle.
I didn't like that carpet, anyway.
Two clues...maybe same issue (I hope)
I had noticed some water damage around sink area, but attributed it to pipe/sink moisture......
nope, something's leaking..........1.) one hint is that the previous owner included a replacement exterior stove vent hood in the deal. The old one is cracked. .
There *is* water obviouslu collecting above the sink and dripping through the wood where the light is installed (just to left of stove vent)
[the airstream is not leveled at this time]
Okay, time to install the vent cap...does it require a gasket?
I see where it screws in.... guess I need to buy a gasket?
Any other vent hood/cap installation tips?

2.) along the floor to the right of the where the aforementioned stove vent is, is a strip of caulk at the joint of the floor and wall.

Hmmm- would this mean that replacing the vent *won't* solve this leaK? Are wall/floor joint leaks common in older A/S?

I do enjoy a mystery and will not take it to Camper Clinic just yet!

Seems like the vent is a likely suspect.
The good news, although a lot of water came in, it is all localized in one area.
Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Austin , Texas

Ah yes, another Stevie Ray Vaughn fan!!

I do remember seeing that silver painted fibreglass scoop laying around inside your unit. Probably a good hint as to where to find your water leak!!

I think I'm down to one or two leaks now, this monsoon is definitely giving it a good test.

Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:26 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
silver fiberglass vent cap

Oh, yeah, I can remember Stevie Ray playing on the Drag for the free street dances in the 70's....
I'm sure nostalgia is one of the reason's I am *still* excited about owning the overlander....its first voyage may be to Camper Clinic!
At least I asked the fellow who sold it to me what the scoop was, but I do believe it requires a gasket.........
I don't see what I have listed at Inland....
nor do I see a gasket described that seems like it fits.
It's a fiberglass scoop.........I'll post a picture tomorrow.
I guess I'll see what I've got after I take it off.
When is it going to stop raining?
I think Sat and Sunday may be clear....
more severe weather tomorrow.
yeehaw.Texas weather.thanks,
Old 02-20-2003, 07:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I don't know how far you are from Austin, but on March 8th at Pedernales Falls SP, we're having a small Forums get together.

I believe all of the sites are reserved for this weekend, but if you would like to drive over and meet everyone, you're sure welcomed.

Also you would have a chance to ask and see how people have fixed different things on their trailers.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 12:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
I plan to be there

I'll be there---if the river don't rise.............
Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Check the A/C shroud...I don't know about the new ones but if it has an opening in the top water could get in through the top and leak down through the blower opening. That's what happened in my Armstrong...water was not coming out of the A/C but running down the ribs and onto spots...

Mike Hamilton
WBCCI # 2766
2013 Airstream Interstate (Darth Vader)
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote