Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Running Lights Seals

HELP....

I had to replace a running light this weekend as the original lost its cover on the tow home. The base was in very bad shape so I replaced the entire unit. I will do the same for all the running lights, the originals are in rough shape for 40+ years. I removed the base and found a thin layer of white putty (sorta like plumbers putty) as the seal. I carefully removed the base and reused the seal. What is this stuff and is it what was originally there? I will eventually polish this trailer and may need to remove this seal and would like to replace it if necessary. What are the rest of you using to seal these lights?

Thank You, Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Hi Mike, That putty type stuff is called butyl tape. It comes in rolls and can be picked up at any RV parts house. Make sure it is the white stuff. The darker stuff is just regular putty and won't last as long in the elements. It is easy to put on and easy to trim off the excess too. You can get original style lenses from Grote and new bases from Vintage Trailer Supply. Or if you need the whole unit, they have them too at Vintage Trailer Supply ( formerly Airstream Dreams ).

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
C Johnson,

Thanks, I'll pick up some this weekend. I want to go original but the PO had already purchased replacements for the lights in the 70's AS style. I have them so I will use them. One amber and one red original lenses are good but all the old bases look to be in sad shape. Right now I need to get her ready for camping to convince the wife that is what we got her for, soooo... geting the leaks and the light "fixed" take priority over originality.

Mike
Old 01-31-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
No problem, glad to help out. I had some bad leaks from my running lights too. Sounds like you have things under control ! Time to go camping !

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Went today and got a roll of the sealent stuff for the running lights from Paw Paw's camper city in Picayune, MS. A whole roll of the 1.5 inch was 2 bucks - about 20 feet worth. Need some, ANYONE?????

Mike