2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Makes sense, thanks.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Your mileage may vary.

Hi, I removed my sewer vent, base and cap, to do a proper reseal on them while I was resealing other items on my roof. My seven year old rubber seal was in perfect shape, but the vent base was warped. I bought a new vent assembly and it also fits fairly tight on the sewer pipe and the pipe was at the correct length. I sealed it with the sealer that I bought from Rod at C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower, Ca. Should be good for a few more years, or more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3547RS.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	149177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3548RS.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	149178  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
FWIW coming from an old commercial roofer...

I use EPDM for my gasket material. I replaced mine 5 years ago and they are still leak free. EPDM roofing material has UV inhibitors in it. Rubber gasket material probably doesn't. Scraps can be had free for the asking, or retrieved from dumpsters at large construction sites...if it even makes it to the dumpster. EPDM roofing material has a design life of ~15-20 years.

I am convinced that the factory is challenged to get little threaded objects into the little round holes. None of my covers had screws in all the holes (and I have the cast aluminum covers). And in one case they hit a rib, rather than drill a pilot hole into the rib, they just left the screws sticking up and added more sealant. Nice QC Airstream...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
"little threaded objects" I love it!!!

I can vouch for that.

The screen protector on our door had three objects that missed their mark, along with two on one of the speaker mounts, and a handful laying on the floor in the Converter cubby hole....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Great thread! Thank you Andy, and both Roberts.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
Where do they leak? From the outside, or from in the pipe?
Just asking as I check the caulk for cracks routinely.

TW
Either, on my original ones the screening, gasket and sealant had pretty well rotted away. I redid mine but was still getting water in during a heavy rain...seems the factory "forgot" to fully solvent weld one of the elbows and a small amount of water was coming down the pipe and leaking at the elbow. A cracked pipe could behave in a similar fashion.

One of my vent stack leaks was actually showing up a bit further in along one of the stringers, water was getting in at a bad screw, running the stringer and showing up about 6' forward of the actual stack location. I found that one by dumb luck, happened to have one of the interior panels pulled to check on some wiring and saw the water tracking down, that is what led me to redo the stacks in the first place.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Remember, that the shell lasts forever, and not much else.

An epitaph
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Looking for Adventure

2007 34' Classic
Social Circle , Georgia
Need An Opinion on these

I was up on the roof today inspecting everything and applying silicon to the Fantastic Vent Fan Rubber Gaskets ( the lids were sticking to the gasket and wouldn't open). I put 303 on everything plastic and did a thorough check out of the roof. I don't think I have any leaks but wanted to get some feedback on the condition of the seals around my tank vent pipes. Here are the pics. They basically all look the same. I am sure they are the original from a 2007 Classic that was built in August of 2006. Thanks in advance

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0659.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	161503   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0660.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	161504  

Name:	DSC_0661.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	161505  
Old 06-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Just do it....

Used this, still in good shape, 4th Season.

Bob
Attached Images

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 06-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Any time there is a gap or crack in the seal (of whatever type) there is a chance water is making it through. Why on earth the standard practice on RV's has been to use 3 inches wide of 1/2 inch deep goop to seal everything - I don't know.

Clean it up as good as you can and reseal it. For a nicer finish, you can use some self-leveling products... You can always just add more goo, but it just accelerates the next time it fails.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKelleys View Post
I was up on the roof today inspecting everything and applying silicon to the Fantastic Vent Fan Rubber Gaskets ( the lids were sticking to the gasket and wouldn't open). I put 303 on everything plastic and did a thorough check out of the roof. I don't think I have any leaks but wanted to get some feedback on the condition of the seals around my tank vent pipes. Here are the pics. They basically all look the same. I am sure they are the original from a 2007 Classic that was built in August of 2006. Thanks in advance

David
Hi, David. That is what my vent looked like before I bought a new one and resealed it as shown in my picture above. The original vent housing was warped. Make sure that you buy the exact same brand so you don't have to drill new holes. When you have them off check the rubber seals; Mine was good, but other's said theirs was bad. Thinking that a vent would be standard, I bought one and found the mounting circle was smaller and the plastic was thinner. I had to go back and buy the right one.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Careful of too-thin sealant beads where there is movement possible. There must be enough to flex with the movement, or it will soon crack.

(Not to change the subject, but that is the problem with curved pano windows. The flex happens with daily heat expansion/contraction and most probably severe shaking going down the road. That tiny bead cannot flex with it and separates from the metal or glass. A little rain, some negative relative pressure inside, and its like a straw in a soda drink.)

doug k
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Careful of too-thin sealant beads where there is movement possible. There must be enough to flex with the movement, or it will soon crack.

(Not to change the subject, but that is the problem with curved pano windows. The flex happens with daily heat expansion/contraction and most probably severe shaking going down the road. That tiny bead cannot flex with it and separates from the metal or glass. A little rain, some negative relative pressure inside, and its like a straw in a soda drink.)

doug k
Is there any good way to seal them? After seeing lots of failed products, I am trying GE Silicone II for the window. Can't be worse than the other 5 products that have failed...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Friday,

Wow...that's a lot of werk. A different product tried almost every year since new.
We've had our share of leaks, but most, once repaired have stayed that way, with the notable exception of the trunk and storage compartment's. Detection and correction taking several attempts before a successful outcome. Same with the clearance lights.

If your trying Silicone, there is a variety that is especially made and is compatible with aluminum. Never tried it though.
Most Streamers will spasm at the utterance.

Good luck...

Bob

RLC

RLC