Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to cookeville34
Rhino lining on trailer

I am giving some thought to "Rhino lining" the top and bottom of my 1979 31' Sovereign. I think they come in several colors, I was thinking about spraying the top down to the awning seam and almost to the front & rear. Anyone tried this?

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
cookeville34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Only in our pickups.

I do think it would be an effective barrier for water leaks, etc. It seems flexable enough not to crack with movement.

I would have 2 questions.
1. Would you like the look?
2. How much weight would it add? It's my understanding that a truck bed spray-on lining adds a fair amount of weight. The top and bottom of a trailer may be a significant weight gain. I think it would be worth researching prior to doing this.

Outside of that, why not?
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
lining

Good point, I wonder if it would make it too top heavy? I hadn't thought of that.

1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon, 5.7L - V8, stock 5000# tow rating, posi, aux trans cooler, rear coil over shocks, 2" rear spring lift kit, flowmaster exhaust.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I have the grey color in the bed of my truck. It is dark grey. It does come in colors but it costs! Grey and black are standard colors.
It can be put on in differing thicknesses. Mine is around 1/8 inch. I do not know how thin they can go. You will have to ask. My research indicated Rhino is more flexable than Line-X

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
A word of caution on the lining. The sun will definately fade the color ,to a different shade (not a good looking one ) also The lining can peel back at the edges and lift from the sun as the coating does dry out ,it takes time ,but the sun does a number on it after a while. Ive got the Line X brand in the travelall in the cargo area no problems after many years ,but its inside not in the sun.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Looks great and works great in me pops pickup bed, but I doubt I'd place it on the aluminum of my Airstream....not that it couldn't be done. Just don't think it'd look good, and if it fades or wears out...not sure what the options are on such a soft metal surface.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Auburntown , Tennessee
I've nixed this idea....the thought of removing the stuff is not good. Plus like someone mentioned it might look like bad. I appreciate your thoughts, they were very helpfull.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
White Roof Goop

What about that white rubberish roof coating for other travel trailer roofs. Just the top where it wouldn't be visible from the ground. I live in the Southwest. Would this stuff keep the trailer a little cooler in the sun as well as provide water barrier for leaks?

I guess whatever you put on better be sure as I would hate to try to get it off in the future.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Search for my post "Airstream One wears a white hat" for details on painting your roof with Interlux Brightsides. I'm very happy with the job I did last year. Folks can't believe it was brushed on. I'm going to scuff it and put on a third coat in the next few weeks.... just for protection. It works well as a heat reflector and if you're concerned about seam leaks a little parbond before hand might be in order.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Devils Lake , North Dakota
As a former ASE body man I have done a bunch of
truck beds. My biggest project was sub contracting
for Battelle in a military project.

They had developed a new armor for Hummers and I
coated the parts with my liner material mixed with
Kevlar fibers. The product I used had twice the PSI
rating as Linex.

To make a long story short........ A full size pickup box
takes 60 pounds of material. About 80 square feet.

The darker the color the better UV resistant the color is.
Black being best.
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Bertram , Texas
If you are going to cover the top in order to seal, you might consider using Glovit as the undercoat. It is an epoxy sealant I've used to seal aluminium boats before painting. It is an epoxy, which can be brushed or I believe sprayed, but my thought would be would could use it over the seams and rivits only (it taint cheap), then paint. THe stuff needs painting as it has no u.v. protection , but it adhears well to aluminum and...well it works on the botttom of my boat... With mine I am thinking of using this on top, painting the top, and polishing the sides. Gives me far les polish to maintain while sprucing up my old beast. Just a thought but economicaly and cosmetically this might be a good bet.
You can do yours...and let me know how it works...

rob
Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Thumbs up PICS Bambi Linex 100% tested.

Take a look at my Bambi .Go to forum search and enter LINEX.I love it and have put it to the test just back from a 12,000 mile trip .Road grease, mud and grime all wash off at the car wash.100 % investment for 500 dollars.no rock guards for Miss Bambi.
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu https://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Search for my post "Airstream One wears a white hat" for details on painting your roof with Interlux Brightsides. I'm very happy with the job I did last year. Folks can't believe it was brushed on. I'm going to scuff it and put on a third coat in the next few weeks.... just for protection. It works well as a heat reflector and if you're concerned about seam leaks a little parbond before hand might be in order.
Hi Glenn; So you are Interlux kind of guy? Back in late 60's I was Z-Spar guy building World Class wood racing sailboats. On the rotator rack I would paint one side at the time. No one wanted to believe that the finish was brushed. As the color choices in Z-Spar shrunk, I have changed to Interlux. Lately however, I do not like the way that Interlux ends up kind of dead in reflectivity, so I have changed to Pettit. Aside of the fact that it is limited in color choices, I love the the depth in finish as well as working with it. The lay up and flow, IMHO is superior to others. My Argosy will be finished with Easypoxy #3108 Off White on top and #3520 Grand Banks Beige below the belt line. Belly pan will be Burgundy to match my 2006 2500 HD GMC SLE. Thanks "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote