Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Replacing the grey plastic glazing strip

Aktundra have you completed your window refurb yet?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
GlamperGirl

Reinergirl,
Thank you for attaching your blog. This was so helpful. Great photo detail. My belly pan in top of mind and my windows. Mine have to look just like yours. Have I lost my mind thinking I can accomplish all of this on my own?
One rivet on front of the other I guess. Happy Holidays

Old 12-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Happy Holidays! No you have not lost your mind...... just a lot of your time! It's not rocket science, not even particularly hard, just really time consuming. Windows take forever, but it's very satisfying when you are done.

One caveat, after you are done apply a uv protectant to the grey strips, I find mine are really bleaching out and it's been less than a year. And it's not like I live in Florida, I'm in NH where we are lucky to see the sun! I think I used Aerospace 303, coat any Fantastic Fan covers and your tires while you are at it. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks for keeping this thread current, so I can still find it when I actually get to work !

I have been working on electrical, and the last of my riveting. I've been saving the window rebuild to when the weather is to lousey, and I want a small project to bring inside.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Replacing the grey plastic glazing strip

Aktundra, I have some unused plastic window glazing from VTS that I have no use for now. It did not fit my 1961 Bambi. There are a few Bambi windows that need a special glazing strip, mine being one of them. If you want my unused window glazing, I'll be heading to Anchorage in March for Iditarod, I'll bring it with me. If you want it earlier, I'll mail it to you.

But first, since you live waaaaay far away and shipping can be expensive from outside businesses, I can send you a small snip of each kind of glazing, and you can determine which one fits your trailer windows without having to deal with returns. Could be you need the special glazing as well. PM me if you are interested.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Contact Vintage Trailer Supply, they have what you need. Unless someone really screwed up your windows you should not have to take them out as they are set in what is called glass tape which is probably fine. just pull out the old seal and put in the new.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
I changed out all my glass to tempered. Figured if I was going to replace all the glazing, might as well update the glass for safety reasons. Was really easy to do, and cost less than $100 for all new glass. VTS has a narrow Bambi bedding tape that worked fantastic in the little channels.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
Thanks for the offer grayling. I was hoping I could remove the swing out pane, and this could be an "indoor " project this winter when the weather's bad. If it has to be done with the glass installed, I'll probably wait till spring

Grayling, drop me a note closer to the Iditarod, maybe I can offer some planning points for your trip. Do you volunteer every year or just coming up ? Maybe roast moose dogs & smore's by the trail as the mushers go by. If you come up a few days early, I can connect you with some mushers, to take you for a ride.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
PM sent