Old 06-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
RemovAll 220 - will it remove old caulk?

I have read quite a bit in the forum about RemovAll 220 being a great product for removing old clear coat. What I am wondering is will it also help with removing old Vulkem and old Silicone caulking. I have found that Jasco paint remover does loosen up old caulk and make it a lot easier to remove. It also attacks the clear coat in the area where you apply it to a joint. It is not particularly pleasant stuff to work with though. I would especially like to clean out the gloppy old caulk put on by a previous owner so that I can reseal these joints. I would like to remove my old clear coat as well at some point. So my question is really in two parts as follows:

1.) If I want to go ahead and strip the clear coat now can I also get some help from RemovAll in cleaning up the old caulk?

2.) If I decide to wait until later to remove my old clear coat with RemovAll will it also attack the new caulk that I put in now?

The bottom line question is will RemovAll loosen old Vulkem and/or Silicone caulk?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Old 06-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Remove all works great for the clear coat. Silicone caulk remover from Vintage Trailer Supply is about one of the only products that works. The PO of our 65 Safari must have thought that all problems could be solve with silicone caulk. It took us 2 and a half days of hard work to remove it all.

Good luck!
Attached Images

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
Remove all works great for the clear coat. Silicone caulk remover from Vintage Trailer Supply is about one of the only products that works. The PO of our 65 Safari must have thought that all problems could be solve with silicone caulk. It took us 2 and a half days of hard work to remove it all.

Good luck!
Did the caulk remover that you mentioned also attack the clear coat? If you don't mind taking the clear coat off at the same time Jasco paint remover works better than anything I have tried to date. It also does its job in minutes rather than hours. I was hoping that RemovAll - also being a paint remover - might work as well as Jasco on caulk. I like the non-toxic nature of RemovAll and the water clean up too.

Malcolm