Old 06-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Rear Bumper Plate/Floor Leakage

Yesterday I found moisture on the floor under the dinette in my 2009 25FB. I thought it was coming in around the windows or from above the windows. But by means of this forum I come to find out that prior to 2012 AS were prone to have water seepage in the back floor because of no sealing between the rear bumper storage plate and the outer skin. So I did some further investigation and I'm 95% sure I have the same issue as the floor is damp all along the back of the trailer, not just at a specific area like under a particular window.

How to fix it? I was wondering if anyone has fixed this by just sealing the upper edge and the bottom edge of the moulding without removing it. Obviously it would be an easier fix without having to remove the rub rail insert and the rub rail itself.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1713.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	264684   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1714.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	264685  

Old 06-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I had exactly exactly the same leak on my 2008. Sad to say for me it was a $6k repair.

In my trailer behind the rub rail airstream failed to properly seal the gap between the shell and sub floor. Water would settle betwee the insulation and subfloor, and that rotted out the floor. Rub rail, bumper was removed, area re-sealed. Unfortunately mine had been leaking from new and after 8 years the subfloor inside was toast so I had to have the interior at the rear of the trailer completely removed, including the bathroom and shower (I have a 25SS), then the subfloor was completely replaced and everything was put back together including some new interior skin that was removed to replace the floor.

We found my leak as part of larger renovation where I was having hardwoods installed ... So replacing the flooring itself was already factored in and was not in the additional repair charge.

If you want details on how to repair call Paul at timeless travel trailers in Denver and he can share details. Www.timelesstraveltrailers.com. Tell him Wulfraat sent you

Old 06-18-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Some photos of the damage to my trailer....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	264691  
Old 06-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Subfloor damage
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	102
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	264692  
Old 06-18-2016, 12:58 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Plywood absorbed a lot of water over the years...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	121
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	264693  
Old 06-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #6

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Rear Bumper Plate/Floor Leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Yesterday I found moisture on the floor under the dinette in my 2009 25FB. I thought it was coming in around the windows or from above the windows. But by means of this forum I come to find out that prior to 2012 AS were prone to have water seepage in the back floor because of no sealing between the rear bumper storage plate and the outer skin. So I did some further investigation and I'm 95% sure I have the same issue as the floor is damp all along the back of the trailer, not just at a specific area like under a particular window.

How to fix it? I was wondering if anyone has fixed this by just sealing the upper edge and the bottom edge of the moulding without removing it. Obviously it would be an easier fix without having to remove the rub rail insert and the rub rail itself.

Any thoughts?

Even though I have no signs of leakage in that area I did exactly what you are thinking. I also calked screws and rivets under the plastic rub rail trim when I replaced it.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
Old 06-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Even though I have no signs of leakage in that area I did exactly what you are thinking. I also calked screws and rivets under the plastic rub rail trim when I replaced it.

Did you remove rub rail moulding (not just the insert) completely or just caulk on the top and bottom of it?
Old 06-18-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yes the actual rub rail gets removed, not just the insert. The issue lies behind the rub rail. I didn't do the actual work, Timeless did (and they did a great job, fixed it for good).

There was never any leak detected from the inside. It wasn't until the bed and laminate were removed for hardwood flooring installation that we discovered it. There was actually a hole in the floor based on the water damage. if you have a rear dinette I highly recommend you peel up the laminate to investigate. your job is probably less intrusive than ours was if you need to replace subfloor (remove benches and dinette, etc..

The water damage comes from below the floor - there is an insulation membrane that is affixed to the bottom side of the sub floor in late model trailers - water makes its way between the insulation and subfloor and rots it out from below. We would have never have know of the damage until one day when the shower pan or bed would have sunk down through the rotted subfloor...
Old 06-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #9

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Did you remove rub rail moulding (not just the insert) completely or just caulk on the top and bottom of it?

Just the insert, sealed rivets then molding top and bottom.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
golden valley , Minnesota
floor leakage

I replaced my floor due to rot 1972 ambassador. I lifted the rear of the trailer so the outer skin covered the plywood and then som so water would drip off before contacting the plywood. I then sealed the rear plate to the skin under the rub rail. Seal only the top of the rubrail. leave the bottom open or you may trap water.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
I just finished mating the shell with the floor on our 73. The original floor was so rotten we had to be careful stripping out the interior as we would fall through in many places.
For the new floor I used a product called Komacell. It is a foamed PVC plastic. It won't rot or hold moisture. It is also about 2/3 the weight of plywood. Looks great so far.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
I removed the seating from the back of the AS and pealed back the linoleum. The floor was wet about 2 to 3 feet from the back wall. Surprisingly, and thankfully, the floor is not rotted. But I plan to put something on the plywood to stop any decay (not sure what it is and will have to do more research).

I ordered a 16 ft. piece of the rub rail insert (that's expensive stuff) to replace what I remove from the rub rail. When I get that I'll remove the rub rail itself and then caulk the seam between the bumper plate and the shell, remount the rub rail, and attach the new rub rail insert. Am I missing anything?

I am planning on using Sikaflex 221. I ordered a tube but am wondering if one tube will be enough. Opinions?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Hanover , Pennsylvania
Is Sikaflex 221 the right stuff to use to seal between the bumper plate and the shell? I see some use Vulkem. Are they pretty much interchangeable?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:43 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Angel , Oregon
Sikaflex 221 should be good. I need to recaulk my rubrail and after looking at new Airstreams was thinking of using Acryl-R, mainly because I have it and because the new Airstreams have very small caulk beads on the rub rail--smaller than what I think you can make with a caulk gun.

Bob and Nancy had a thread which listed appropriate sealers by application. This list was amended frequently. I also spoke with Airstream customer service about the products they currently use before starting my own project.

So here's Bob and Nancy's amended list (in part):

Windows/Trim/Rubrail/Exterior Lights:

Sikaflex 221 Grey (seals and bonds. Use Eternabond spray cleaner to prepare surface)
Parbond Grey or Clear (small hand tubes, prep and clean-up use cosmoline remover)
Trempro 635 Grey
LoctiteŽ PLŽ S40 Polyurethane Window Door and Siding Sealant
Lexel™ Clear

Small seams (between aluminum panels):

Acryl-R (available in cans from Airstream store. Use applicator or disposable syringes to apply)
Aluminum Pigmented Gutterseal

"To err is human, to air is devine."
Burnside Bob is offline   Reply With Quote