Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
cave city , Kentucky
Point me in the right direction

As you open the door of my '90 25' Excella and look at the side window on the opposite wall you're facing, I discovered a leak. It's not so much I'm a detective, it's that my wife noticed the floor to the right of the window is sinking in. I pealed back the flooring and there is rot and as I removed the rot I saw water flowing down the wall (it was raining). Any advice as to where the water is coming from (I could see it flowing down between the inside and outside walls). This might be obvious to many of you veterans, but to a rookie it's sort of frustrating. Thanks
unit13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Picture of the area specifically?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Had a similar issue on our former '85 Excella 30'er. Just to the right of the entry door was a non-opening window. The floor below the window had some give to it prompting me to investigate farther. I found that the caulking at the bottom of the window had separated from the frame allowing water to seep inbetween the shell walls ultimately saturating the floor causing the flakeboard subfloor to decompose. After pulling the cork floating floor I was able to pull the subfloor apart with my fingers. All of this leading to replacing about half of the floor in the area of the trailer from the entry door forward. Check any and all seams and shell penetrations above the area of the leak. Re-caulk and seal as needed. Wait awhile, leaving the inner walls open, to make sure you got them all.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Start by playing water on the lower side of the trailer at the bottom of the window with a garden hose. Spray for 5 mins. or so. Wait for 20 mins or so to see if water appear at the floor level. If not move up the side of the trailer to the top of the window. Again if no water move up to the next area with a mechanical joint. Do this until you find the height of the leak or reach the top of the trailer. Keep in mind you will have to increase your waiting time after spraying as you go up the side to be sure any water from that spraying has had a chance to reach the floor. Once you find the heigth of the leak you just have to look closely at that area for the opening.

I had water in the side wall of the refrigerator, not the outer wall of the trailer, and it was coming from a clogged drain hole in the shower vent 5 ft to the rear. They are not always easy to find but generally run down as apposed to mine running horizontally.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Re-caulk and seal as needed.
and don't use Silicone. Use a product like 3M seam sealer, Silk flex or Tempro Vulkem.