Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Stevensville , Montana
Please help

We've completely gutted our AS inside skins and all, we decided to silicone caulk all the seems, backs of rivets, around vents, windows everything on the inside. Now I'm reading silicone not the best choice in the world. Do I need to remove it since it's on the inside or would I be O.K. to just use the Vulcam and Parbond on the outside of the trailer and move on? Will the silicone actually deteriorate the skins? Any help would be appreciated.
WadenMichell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Silicone will corrode aluminium. Unless the inside of your shell is made of some other material than the exterior of your shell then it will cause damage. Sorry but IMO you should remove it.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Respectfully disagree. If its all on the inside leave it alone. I have just removed silicone from seams on the outside...been there for fifteen years...no corrosion evident and it was still tight and waterproof. Silicone maybe ugly as heck but if its there and tight...don't mess with it. The out side is a different story.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I had panels removed from my trailer, I sealed the interior seams and rivets with Vulkem 116. That was suggested by Airstream service. I only know what I'm told . . . and then I go on with blind faith and a self satisfied egocentric feeling of righteous impunity.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Respectfully disagree. If its all on the inside leave it alone. I have just removed silicone from seams on the outside...been there for fifteen years...no corrosion evident and it was still tight and waterproof. Silicone maybe ugly as heck but if its there and tight...don't mess with it. The out side is a different story.
Agreed. Silicone sealant is only corrosive while it’s curing, and then only the silicone which uses acetic acid in its formulation. If it smells like vinegar, it has acetic acid in it.

There are silicone sealants for use in machinery (gaskets), which you can purchase from any automotive parts store, which are formulated without the use of acetic acid, as the acetic acid WILL corrode the raw metals in engines (bearings, cam shafts, etc.) within a few minutes while curing.

This was made very clear to me during a training session I had at Texaco’s Beacon, NY, research lab when an instructor put a small dab of silicone rubber (with acetic acid) on the underside of a jar lid, then put a brand new bearing set in the jar and closed it. At the end of the session (about 1 hour) he removed the bearing set and it was bright orange with corrosion.

If the area being sealed is well ventilated then the matter is really academic since the acetic acid won’t remain around long enough to do any damage and the silicone will have cured out in 24 hours and no longer be releasing the acid.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Wadenmichell,
If it's on the inside I would just leave it. It's nasty stuff to remove and I don't think you would get it all off anyhow. Use Vulcum on the outside>
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Stevensville , Montana
Thanks so much for all of your input after hearing from you and researching effects of silicone on aluminum on the net I think we're gonna leave it alone and use the right stuff on the outside. You've been extremey helpful.
WadenMichell is offline   Reply With Quote