Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Pesky leak

I have a leak at the front of my trailer that I have been chasing for some time without much luck. I can see it on the floor right underneath the roadside battery box.

I thought it was the caulking above the panorama window - fixed that - still leaking. Then I thought it was the caulking around the battery boxes, fixed that - still leaking. Next I wondered if it was the window seals and I taped those as a test and it still leaked.

I really think it's the battery box so two days ago I decided to take out the door for the battery box to see what was going on. The PO must have had it off because the rivets are gone and there are stainless screws instead. So I got it off, cleaned up the edges a bit where he had used silicone between the box and the body (grrrr) and put it back on. The perimeter is sealed with Parbond too. Yesterday I go out and it's leaking far worse than before I took it off. There was even water on the top of the box.

I'm now wondering if the screws could be the problem and water could be traveling along the threads into the wall. Should I replace those with Olympic rivets? Anyone else experienced this?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get some tape and some plastic and tape the battery boxes shut and see if it still leaks. I would have to see some photos to see exactly what your issues are. My battery boxes were broken. I replaced them and used the Trempro-635 on both sides of the box and frame. My frame screws on with sheet metal screws. They should not leak if you put caulk on that flange. You need a bead around the outside of the frame as well. The gaskets between the window frame and windows can leak and water can find its way to the inside through a seam in the frame.

If you tape the boxes shut remove the batteries so you don't blow yourself up with hydrogen.

Perry

Old 05-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks Perry,

I will try that. I only sealed the outside of the frame, not the box, thinking that if the perimeter was sealed that water couldn't get in but I may have been wrong. I'll get a few photos tonight and add them to this so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pics would help, but if your setup is like mine and the boxes are not cracked, any water that gets by the doors should drain right back out through the lower frame vents. If the frame is sealed to the skin (tape test a good idea) and you find water on top of the box...look up. I would suspect the front window frame corners or the pano window seals, or any of the window rivets, or the center window rock shield track. I have leaks in all of these areas at one time or another.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
The sun is shining now so it's a great time to get a pic - will post shortly. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Here are the photos

Exterior road side and corresponding interior shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0551.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	211021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0552.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	211022  

Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Best way to find a leak is pull all that stuff out up front and remove the inner skins.

Perry
Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I suspect what I said in post #4. Water on top of the box is coming from above, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks - I will get the hose out and do some more work before I start taking things apart. I don't have a rock guard so at least it can't be that leaking.

I did notice some water in the area where the window opens - there is a well of sorts there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I suspect what I said in post #4. Water on top of the box is coming from above, IMO.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Man, I feel for you- that could be coming from anywhere. I've got a bare shell with no interior skins and I chased leaks for 6 months. Still have 1 last one.. (fingers crossed).

For instance, I had wet floors on the front left corner that came from a pop rivet back on one of the trim pieces by the "International" badge over the wheel well. It dripped down the wall into the c-channel, then traveled all the way up to the front before showing itself. Common sense says it was coming from the front window, but NOPE.

There are plenty of other spots that I never would have found if I didnt have the interior skins out...

I would say try to do a hose test- one section at a time. Dont overlook other places that arent obvious.

Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes one section at a time...starting low. After drying everything, stuff paper towel in the c channel area below, above and beside the box. Flood the door area, then wait and inspect closly. Pull the paper towel and look for wetness. Put it back. flood the area between the window and box door and repeat the towel exercise. then carefully work the window corner, then the pano window lower edge, then work up the window frames. Then work up to the running lights. Each step wait for enough time for water to wick and run down to the box area. If you work too fast, you could easily miss a leak that just hasn't worked down to the towels.

Water in the center window sill SHOULDN'T ever get to the inside of the wall if the welds in the corners are secure. You can fill the sill as a separate test and see if water drains down. A window latch adjustment might take care of that issue, but it could be time for a new seal.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
So, I did some more looking today and I think you are quite right - it's coming from the window. What I think is happening is that the window sill is getting so much water in it that it's overflowing and then flowing out down the wall. The seal on the window itself is good but I have some places at the top corners to seal that look suspect. Then I'll get the hose out.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Ouch! I hope that it is coming from the obvious place I really don't want to have to take everything apart if I can help it. Hope your last leak is solved now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixter View Post
Man, I feel for you- that could be coming from anywhere. I've got a bare shell with no interior skins and I chased leaks for 6 months. Still have 1 last one.. (fingers crossed).

For instance, I had wet floors on the front left corner that came from a pop rivet back on one of the trim pieces by the "International" badge over the wheel well. It dripped down the wall into the c-channel, then traveled all the way up to the front before showing itself. Common sense says it was coming from the front window, but NOPE.

There are plenty of other spots that I never would have found if I didnt have the interior skins out...

I would say try to do a hose test- one section at a time. Dont overlook other places that arent obvious.

Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome to the world of window leaks. You'll never be lonely here.

I'm not all that clear on what is going on, though it seems Rich is onto something. Look at this thread—it may be helpful. Evan's solution worked for him and he lives in rain country: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...ls-107690.html

Gene