Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Thanks Brian, I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm up there.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Almost Done!

I pulled the front Fantastic Vent and TV antenna. The vent had the foam gasket which was compressed and not doing much. Someone had smeared some caulk on the surface of the trailer, vent and antenna, but the seal had failed in multiple places due to flexing of the skin.

I scraped and then cleaned the roof with Toluene to get off the old sealants. I cut away the sealant that had flowed through the multiple sets of holes to give a flat surface on the underside of the skin. I made backing plates out of 1/8" x 1" x 1" angle aluminum and match-drilled them to the vent flange. I then mounted them to the roof skin with two screws each.

Next step was foam. I used two cans of red label "Great Stuff" foam, one on 3 sides of the vent, the other on the remaining side and the antenna. Prior to foaming i pushed several inches of 1/2" plastic tubing onto the TV coax and fan wires in hopes of keeping the foam from sticking to them. I also wrapped a 1" PVC coupling with wax paper and pushed it into the antenna crank hole to keep it clear and minimize drips to the inside, and masked from the top of the inner skin to keep any foam from getting on the ceiling and put a drop cloth over the recliners.

The foam has now mostly cured, and will hold the backing plates in place when i pull the screws to mount the vent. I am impressed with the additional rigidity on the inside. I can't check the outside because it started raining at 2PM when I finished foaming and hasn't stopped yet. If the roof is anything like the ceiling, there should be no more oil canning around the vent or the TV antenna. If it stops raining tonight I'll mount the vent and antenna in the morning. I may make it to Alumalina yet!

Al

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004

Old 09-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Here's a Picture

Here's a picture of the living area vent hole showing the repair. You can see, starting from the bottom, the vinyl and foam ceiling covering which has separated from the interior skin at the edge, the interior aluminum skin, the "Great Stuff" foam oozing out under the aluminum angle backing plates, and the edge of the exterior skin. It's all ready for fan installation, but it won't stop raining. The blue tint through the hole is my official Florida hurricane blue tarp, resting on the Ultrabreeze vent cover which is just sitting over the hole.

Squirt some caulk and gun in 28 screws and I'm good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	222664  

2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004