Old 09-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Franklin , Ohio
Wink Not sure where to look for leak

I just purchased 1994 30 Excella. First project was to replace floor covering. After removing carpet I noticed a wet spot in the wood in this small area (aprox. 1 sq ft). The wood was soft like putty I scraped cleaned and dried out. We had heavy rain and spot was wet again. The wet area is on the front road side in front of awning, there is a hole cut in wall wher wires come out and go down into conduit in floor.
Not sure where to look for leak. I did seal the antenna that had a lose screw, the mount for stone guard and the rub guard that runs around side.
Any Ideas on how to find leak would be appreciated.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I assume your trailer leaked when it was stationary. If not, your leak could be on the roof or on the bottom of the trailer where water washed up from puddles in the road.
Any place where there is a hole in the roof for a vent, t.v., antenna, ect is a place to look for leaks. On an older trailer, particularly one that has been damaged, the leak could be coming from an open seam where one sheet of aluminum joins another.
Your leak sounds pretty big so it should be easy to find.
My Safari leaked around the refrigerator vent. I had to caulk it twice before it stopped leaking.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My trailer had water damage to the floor just in front of the entry door. I made a religion out of finding and fixing the leak(s). In all I found and fixed 11 separate leaks contributing to that damage area. The hardest to find was an outside skin lap seal that looked fine from the outside. I had to remove the inside skin and sit on a farmer's milking stool with a poacher's light during a thunderstorm to find it.

The hardest to fix was the top vista window in front of the entry door.

The most aggravating leak was the step release slot that (by design) directs about 2 gallons of water into the belly pan every time it rains long. The only remedy was to cut and screen drain holes in the belly pan. That's a bad one. The belly pan holds water like a reservoir. I found that source by accident when I had the damaged floor areas removed prior to replacement.

My firm conviction is that these trailers should never be stored outside.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Vintage Kin Owner
Aylett , Virginia
It could be almost anywhere on the front of the trailer. It is amazing how far water can run from a leak and where it can appear. With rivets, seams, windows and holes everywhere in these trailers it can be very frustratiing. I'm chasing one now too. Good luck.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditter View Post
I just purchased 1994 30 Excella. First project was to replace floor covering. After removing carpet I noticed a wet spot in the wood in this small area (aprox. 1 sq ft). The wood was soft like putty I scraped cleaned and dried out. We had heavy rain and spot was wet again. The wet area is on the front road side in front of awning, there is a hole cut in wall wher wires come out and go down into conduit in floor.
Not sure where to look for leak. I did seal the antenna that had a lose screw, the mount for stone guard and the rub guard that runs around side.
Any Ideas on how to find leak would be appreciated.
Check the clearance lights.

Andy

Tags
find, leaks, water damage, floor repair