Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2006, 10:35 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Detroit Area , Michigan
I don't know. I thank you all for the kind words of encouragment but after looking at the condition of the floor under the gaucho, knowing that the rot goes into the frame and seeing the pictures of what it takes to do a full monte, etc, the thought of this trailer is making my physically ill.
wacnstac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
If you only have to replace the first sheet of plywood, it's really not as hard as it looks. Now replacing the entire floor without removing the shell, that's a different matter! Keep reading and asking questions, you can do it. Try and give us a few pictures to look at, folks here are really glad to help.

Did I read that you are in New Jersey? There's a great dealer up there, but I'll have to look up the name if you want it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
feeling overwhelmed?

We have all been there, and we also reacted like you have. You don't have to do the full monty sure it's the best way to go. We replaced the first 4 ft where you are talking about and it was not that big of a deal, yes we had to hire a carpenter to finish the job $40 but it turned out nicely and we are ready to camp or rally. We went with the vintage knowing we were getting into doing repairs and we enjoy it I will admit it will nickle and dime you everyday but we have enjoyed it and we got into it knowing this. I would have loved going and getting a brand new Airstream but that kind of cash was not available for us. Airstreams leak all other brands leak worse, find the source and fix it, if it has done damage fix it and enjoy.

Becky
ps Look under my member photo's and look at the leak we had.
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
NOT a lot of $$...

Wac-

Sorry if I fed anxiety with list of water issues. Post indicating that some form of vigilance and attention is going to be required was correct.. Just to sum up, the leaks noted above sot us the following to fix:

1. Bath Vent - $0 (Won $13 replacement vent cover via door prize certificate from C&G while at Rose Parade Rally). Climbed on ladder and replaced cracked vent.
2. A/C Gasket: $125 for labor and $14 part to unbolt and rebolt A/C (Ladder not that good...)
3. 4. and 5. Also $0.. Added tube of Vulkem to C&G certificate and used it on ladder to seal up pinholes and openings, stopping all leaks...

Finding local carpenter who can section in piece of marine plywood is OK way to replace rotted section. If you do decide to go with new carpeting, shop around also for really durable grades that won't interfere with sliders (Gaucho and storage drawers) and shop for installers, as some won't want the work (too many cuts and fits per square yard..) and their pricing will reflect that lack of interest... We discovered that a lot of inexpensive remnants contained enough material to cover a long central hallway and living area less than 8' wide in front...

There are advantages to flooring other than carpeting which might make water leaks easier to spot and address early...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote