Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
Moisture meter subfloor

We are using a moisture meter to try to track down the sources of odours. We found damp subfloor at the front end by the edge with it. We've lifted the vinyl and put silica on it to help it dry. There's a definite smell. Any other advice? We are not sure if it's a one time prior leak or an ongoing problem.

I don't get high moisture readings anywhere else in the floor but I get a "wet wood" odour and I suspect there are other areas. I'm not sure how reliable our moisture meter is or if there are other non-invasive ways to sort this out.

Thanks!
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My experience with our Sonin moisture meter is if it registers any moisture in the subfloor you have a leak. Or possibly condensation that formed inside the trailer while using it and the moisture run down the interior walls into the subfloor.

The wet wood odor is another symptom of a leak. A source is water getting into the channel at the bottom of your pano windows and leaking down at the corners. The windows may be leaking at the caulking, or the operating window may not be adjusted snug enough against the seal. Another common source is the rivets and screws that hold the awning support arms not properly caulked.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
On my '07 a chronic leak came from the hinge for the solar guard on top of the middle window. The leak appeared inside on the far bottom corner of the pano. Water travels! Resealing the hinge was easy and after it happened twice, I just kept an eye on it.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
How did you figure out what was leaking?

So the moisture Meter reads 6-9% in the rest of the floor which I thought was normal? 23% where I found it damp

But maybe the 6-9 % is abnormal too

Also wondering what you did with the subfloor after sealing the leak

Thank you
Old 07-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think out moisture meter may be more sensitive, it's a cheap one. 6-9% reading on yours throughout the floor is most probably normal. Be concerned with the damp area.

It's not always easy to find the leak, but start by working upward looking for good sealing anywhere there is an opening made in the shell. The water can also travel horizontally to some degree inside the wall, but that's not what we have found. It's always been above.

I caught our leak very soon before damage was done. Have been testing with the meter since new on a quarterly basis. When new there was no leakage, the four minor leaks began after considerable towing. We travel long distances with our Airstream and it gets tossed around by the roadways.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
S , N
So I found a few spots where I could use a scope camera to visualize the subfloor from below

Everywhere I look there is brown water staining on the subfloor. Much of it looks dry but this is really intimidating since we just got it and I'm really affected by water damage. It likely wouldn't bother most people at the stage its at. We are drying out one wet spot and hoping that improves the smell but not sure what's ahead. It's not covered by the warranty we have.

Looking at the outside and around we don't have any clue where the leaks are coming from.

Thanks for all of the help
Old 07-01-2015, 10:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I have no idea where you live, but many RV dealers about the country provide a leak test that involves pressurizing the inside of the trailer with a big fan (usually set up at a roof vent) and then covering the trailer with a soap-like substance that creates bubbles when air leaks out.

Make sure they are a reputable shop and get it done. Find the leaks in this way, repair them, then clean or replace the flooring as needed. Monitoring for leaks with a moisture meter on a regular basis is good preventive maintenance on any travel trailer.