Old 09-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Unhappy Looks like I've got a leak

We just had our first days of steady rain after a long dry summer and so I went out to check the caravel and see if there were any leaks. There were several places I suspected because of signs of water damage but I didn't know which of those the previous owner might have already fixed, because I know he did try to keep after those things. Well, I only found one wet spot. In the front right corner of the upper cabinet in the galley. Just a little damp, but there's already some delamination of the plywood there (I noticed that earlier this summer while cleaning up).

Looks to me like it's coming from the fridge vent in the roof. I climbed up on a ladder to get a better look at it. Looks like the PO had put quite a bit of sealant around the white tube that comes up out of the roof. Also, the vent cover is open on both the front and back - is that correct? For some reason I thought it would only be open on one side.

We have a trip coming up next week so I probably don't want to do too much until after the trip, but I'm wondering if maybe some well-placed vukem might help keep it dry inside until I can do a more complete job. Probably wouldn't hurt to check out the vent gaskets and see if they need to be replaced as well.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Steph,

Based on where your fridge is and the age of the vent gaskets I would lay money on the vent gaskets.

If nothing else, you can do the hose test after your trip and verify the leak.

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Chasing all the water leaks in my '68 "rustangs" was a nightmare, enough to make me never want to own another one! Seems as soon as I plugged one hole I discovered another. I hope finding and stopping the leak on the caravel won't be nearly so bad.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote