Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Leaky Roof Window (2008 25' Safari)

Fellow Airstreamers,

I have a leaky roof window in my 2008 25' Safari,...noticed it after storing over winter. I noticed a little water accumulating on top of that clear film that separates the actual bubble window from the interior of the trailer. I pulled the trailer out for better access and obviously tilted the whole thing and the water dripped into the trailer. The mess wasn't a big deal as it wasn't a whole lot of water but the bigger concern is the leak itself. Im assuming its a worn seal and im hoping some silicone will fix it but has anyone experienced this before and how did you fix it??? Also,...how do you deal with maintenance on the roof of an Airstream?? Im assuming its not recommended to walk on the roof.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

M
Mihoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Hello Mihoff...
We just discovered the same leak on our '08 23' International. First I thought it was water forced in an otherwise "tight" area from miles of "driving" rain while driving. But it showed up just like yours: in between the two roof window panels. Then this weekend while lounging in the trailer I discovered where that water had run: out a rivet and around a window down the inside wall. Must be more water somewhere behind the wall too.
So, now we have the same issue. Does anyone know if the skylights are warranted? I'm seeing some small cracks (appear to be hairline but water might be getting through).
I also noticed when peering up on the roof that there had been generous amounts of while "official" caulking on various screws and edges of the sky light.
Are the hairline cracks the problem?
Can the sky light be replaced at home?
Or does it just need more caulk like all Airstream seams?

And as for being "Up On The Roof" with The Drifters, I read that you better keep your weight over the roof ribs and not between 'em. Like walking on rafters in your attic I guess.

Good luck. I'll keep watch on this and see what we hear; or hear what we hear.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
Hello Mihoff...
We just discovered the same leak on our '08 23' International. First I thought it was water forced in an otherwise "tight" area from miles of "driving" rain while driving. But it showed up just like yours: in between the two roof window panels. Then this weekend while lounging in the trailer I discovered where that water had run: out a rivet and around a window down the inside wall. Must be more water somewhere behind the wall too.
So, now we have the same issue. Does anyone know if the skylights are warranted? I'm seeing some small cracks (appear to be hairline but water might be getting through).
I also noticed when peering up on the roof that there had been generous amounts of while "official" caulking on various screws and edges of the sky light.

And as for being "Up On The Roof" with The Drifters, I read that you better keep your weight over the roof ribs and not between 'em. Like walking on rafters in your attic I guess.

Unfortunately, hairline cracks in the "skylights" happen in time due to one or more screws that were tightened, "to tight".

The hairline cracks will indeed leak water.

Skylights should either be patched with a sealer, if you don't mind the looks, or replaced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
Hello Mihoff...

Skylights can easily be replaced at "home" using a little caution, a good sealer such as Vulkem, and don't fasten the screws in to tight.

Andy
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Apparently the Screw tightener person at the Mother Ship didn't know what he/she was doing because this problem seems to be systemic.
We took ours back to the Mother Ship to have the skylight replaced along with 6 pages of other items under warranty.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
What kind of sealer can I use to coat the whole thing with?? I was thinking to heat the window up as its lexan anyway and once its toasty throw down a layer of clear resin with a paintbrush,...should go on rough but dry smooth,...i think? I dont really want to seal the hairlines with silicon,...will just wear off and get dirty quick. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!
Mihoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihoff View Post
What kind of sealer can I use to coat the whole thing with?? I was thinking to heat the window up as its lexan anyway and once its toasty throw down a layer of clear resin with a paintbrush,...should go on rough but dry smooth,...i think? I dont really want to seal the hairlines with silicon,...will just wear off and get dirty quick. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!!
Replace the cover with an after market.

Walking on the roof properly, causes zero problems.

Andy