Old 03-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #1
. , .
leaky marker to fix 'em?

hi folks

most; maybe all of us have had water get inside the marker lights, or clearance lights......on out silver palaces.....

i've had this problem for 25 years and not seen a great solution......

my current trailer has the teardrop lights but it seems most of the marker light varieties get water in them....on airstreams.

i've not seen this on newer, maintained sobs.......

but airstream from the 70s to new......sure have it....

the look of water behind the light covers is annoying but the real issue is that the fixture is negatively afffected by the water. as a result the bulbs burn out much quicker than they should....the fixture corrodes and doesn't conduct well, the light are dim, the current draw is funky...and so on.....

so carrying extra bulbs is par and having them burn out while traveling can be a safety issue....

i want to be seen! i want dry lights! i want a fix!

one solution would be to remove and replace all the lights with a variety that do not leak.....but will not look original......

another solution would be replace the light fixture inside with leds...that should last longer.....even with water inside......

i have even seen folks use silicone to seal the lens inside the base....not me!

lewster has offered another potentially great solution here.........

by adding a rubber o ring under the machine screw that attaches the lens covers.....

skip to page 6/ post 87 of the thread for info........

of course the factory screws all rust from day many of us have replaced these factory screws with stainless steel.....

i suspect the white base gasket leaks water around the edge but who knows where it comes from???

regardless there is water inside and i don't like it!

so if you've had this problem or solved it......

tell us how...... and pictures are extra nice....

so how do you solve this issue?

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Western , Oregon
I must say that I haven't seen this problem yet with my 05 28' CCD........but....... also....... I haven't checked that close on my rig until the 2005 QC posts on these forums. I will now check to see if this is a problem with mine! If it is indeed a problem......IMHO it should be a warranty issue to be corrected by my dealer thru AS.....right?

Jim & Cheryl

2005 28' CCD

2013 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.5' bed, 3.5L EcoBoost, 3.73 rear axle, Max Tow Pkg
Equalizer hitch
Honda 3000 genset
WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Well, 2air,

You just got me to go out with the flashlight around 11:30 PM and inspect all my running lights. Since Spring in the southeast is RAIN, I expected to find some, but not a one of them show any signs of water having gotten in. This is a '79 Excella, and it has the running lights under the beltline. I also replaced a bunch of them in Ft. Desoto last year when my TV's headlight switch failed and blew a fuse in the trailer. Tomorrow, I'll hook the TV up and see how many of them have survived the winter.

Thank you.

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
. , .
hi jordandvm and safeharbor......

here's to hoping you don't have to deal with this.....on your 05.

some folks report water after washing....and are told not to spray the lights...duh.

mine has always been while towing in the rain......and having lived in seattle in a past life....that meant all the time.

i had my 05 at the factory in august and it rained for 2 days during the trip, and they all but one had water while fixing other things i aasked them to deal with this.....

they did remove and clean/dry the covers and replace them....and assured my they would stay dry....until they got wet again.....and that i would need to "dry them out occasionally" if i really wanted them free of water....

this is one of those issues that's been around so long, it's sort of like finding metal shaving on the floor, screwing inside the cabinets or peeling clearcoat......

these things have sort of become "features" of owning an airstream....

i think it's more of a problem with the teardrops than the oblong markers...

and safeharbor......the clue that water is getting inside is any corrosion on the bulb base/or fixture...

when i picked up the new trailer last april......two of the yellow side markers blew even before leaving the parking lot.....with the first connection to t.v. power. it had rained during the trip from factory to dealership.....

Old 03-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Better move to AZ. I heard it hasn't rained there for 140 days. Our sealed led lights on our trailers at work still get water in them and they are supposedly sealed tight !

Into every Airstream owners marker lights a little water will leak
Chris AIR # 7276, WBCCI # 7276, TAC OR - 8
Photos of Project 2k5
Project 2k5
Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:27 AM   #6
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Originally Posted by C Johnson
Better move to AZ. I heard it hasn't rained there for 140 days. Our sealed led lights on our trailers at work still get water in them and they are supposedly sealed tight !

Into every Airstream owners marker lights a little water will leak
It almost rained yesterday. This weekend is looking good for a shower.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just a thought that you might try. I used to do this when I owned a sailboat, with some success. I would give each screw a few wraps of that white plumbing tape when refastening my boats running lights' lens covers. I used to get leaks, even with new gaskets and figured the water was coming through the screws. Once I wrapped them with the plumbing tape and re-set them, I didn't have any more leaks. Also, don't set the screws really tight as this may be compressing the gasket in an irregular way and causing failure. I found that tightening snuggly but not tightly worked well. I hope this helps!

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
. , .
hi cameront120......

thanks for posting about the teflon tape applied to the screw threads.....

i'm gonna try a few this way and a few with lewsters o rings.....

i agree over tightening may squash the gasket...i just don't know when to stop......

maybe inland andy has got a cure or other wisdom for wet marker lights?