Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
leaks leaks leaks

I thought I had fixed every last weird little leak, but it's been pouring and... grrrr, water is pouring in around the front window. I've sealed a bunch already, but this is weird. Water is dripping from inside the window frame... I checked, starting at the top, to see if the skylight is leaking around the frame, but it appears dry (I removed the light fixture and things are dry inside the walls there) Does anyone know something to fill a seam that is wet? I'm going to try using some ink, going from the lowest possible place up the body to see what I can see.

What is particularly galling is that the water is coming in in exactly the places that caused the floor to rot out (I've replaced the whole thing already).

Have a great new year

Peter
Old 12-30-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64
I thought I had fixed every last weird little leak, but it's been pouring and... grrrr, water is pouring in around the front window. I've sealed a bunch already, but this is weird. Water is dripping from inside the window frame... I checked, starting at the top, to see if the skylight is leaking around the frame, but it appears dry (I removed the light fixture and things are dry inside the walls there) Does anyone know something to fill a seam that is wet? I'm going to try using some ink, going from the lowest possible place up the body to see what I can see.

What is particularly galling is that the water is coming in in exactly the places that caused the floor to rot out (I've replaced the whole thing already).

Have a great new year

Peter
Sounds like I have a similar leak on the window @ my entry door. Window frame is wet but no sign of a source.
Anyway how does your rubber window seal look? Have you looked @ your running lights above the window? (if that year has em)
Can you post pics of the area?
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I know in Vancouver, BC I've seen an advertisement by an RV place who put a smoke creator (supposedly it leaves no smells/after-effects) in the trailer, and from that they find all the leaks. I have not seen it done but you might want to ask around your area. Has anyone else used this type of service? If so, perhaps they can provide feedback. I hate leaks - so far with our Airstream not a one, but I did struggle with one on the Silver Streak till I couldn't stand it anymore and took the inside panels off, drilling out all the rivets - quite a chore. It turned out that a PO had replaced a couple of rivets at one time and used the wrong type. Afterwards I read the advt for the smoke test. Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
How about putting a bit of air in and using soapy water to see where it leaks out? Some discussion at http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/snuze/?p=248 based on a commercial product for RV dealers.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipper
How about putting a bit of air in and using soapy water to see where it leaks out? Some discussion at http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/snuze/?p=248 based on a commercial product for RV dealers.
I read the article about finding leaks and found it quite interesting. I do however have doubts about it working. Sealing the stove vent is not going to be easy and neither is the frig vent. Then you have every window and door seal, plus the battery box door, all the sewer vents (if the pressure could push the water out of the traps), the roof vents, the "fart" fan, the opening in the floor by the water tank and every spot where a propane line, water line, sewer line and electical line run through holes in the floor. If anyone has tried this I would like to hear how it worked out. Lets face it, leaks can be a real pain and an easy way to find them would be nice.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Marker lights

Gobie, Some of my worst water leaks were from my marker lights and from the "Caravel" emblem beside the door. The emblem leak is what caused the floor to rot directly under that leak and the water from the front marker lights was running along the channel and spilling out in the same spot.

My .02

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Peter, I found leaks in the running lights as mentioned by others above. I also found leaks in the "A-I-R-S-T-R-E-A-M" lettering on the front and back of the trailer. My camper has the individual letters that spell out the name. Does yours have the emblem (one large banner type)? If so, then you will have fewer holes to tend to. These pretty much had to be repaired from the inside. Your results may vary. On the inside on the camper, the window frames are sealed with Vulkem. I also found several very small leaks in the Vulkem. These leaks were so small that it took quit a bit of time to find them (you might even call them micro-leaks). I don't think I would have ever found these leaks if the inner skins weren't removed. I'm in the middle of a "Full Monty" so everything is apart.

Good Luck,
Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
check this website out. http://www.rvleaks.com/

You may get some thoughts. These are the folks with the Sealtech 430R leak detection system.

Barry
Old 12-31-2005, 02:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
leaks solved... but what's best to fill them?

Okay, so I took some ink and dribbled it where I thought it was coming in... nothing. I worked my way around the front, in a driving rain, and found it: The lowest seam for the big curving body part! I ran the ink along the seam, where it ran along and then blip! UP into an open seam. I guess it was capillarity. I ran inside and in came the blue stuff. I taped the seam, and after a heavy rain all night (big Northern Ca storms) no leaks. We had a dry patch this morning and I filled the seam.

Also, found that water was coming in around the drain vent pipe... And had a leak from the exterior outlet... water was coming down the refer vent.... and then there were leaks around the window frames, at the skin. The floor had been totally gone in my trailer when I bought it, and I wondered if towing it like that worked open a bunch of seams?

Question: I was looking for something that might be brushed on a seam prior to sealing, that would absorb any moisture and then evaporate? I've had really good luck with 3M marine caulk. It is clear and easy to make repairs invisble.

thanks a lot

Peter
Old 12-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
one more leak

I forgot to mention, my disintigrating skylight.. 3 years old and totally cracked, allowing water to dribble in.

Now, to find a replacement.

P
Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Congrats! What a great way to finish off the year. I guess you could say you were now going to have a dry New Years? Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Happy New Years.
Barry